Jack Howe Memorial Tournament
2017 — Long Beach, CA/US
Welcome to the 25th Annual Jack Howe Memorial Tournament!
All detailed tournament information can be accessed using the links on the right.
Friends and Colleagues,
The faculty, staff, students, and alumni of the California State University, Long Beach cordially invite you to attend the 25th** Annual Jack Howe Memorial, hosted by the CSU LB “Beach Forensics” Program on Saturday September 30– Sunday October 1, 2017. As in past years, we will offer Parliamentary, Policy, Public Forum, congressional, and L-D Debate in addition to the eleven CHSSA Individual Events. We are also pleased to announce that we are offer qualifying bids to the Tournament of Champions in Policy, LD, and Public Forum debate!
NEW and OPEN! E Payments HERE https://commerce.cashnet.com/
NEW! We will be selling Team shirts (20.00)...Jack Howe Shirts (20.00)...and Long Beach Forensics Timers ($10.00)
1. NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED! ONLY Cash, Cashier's check, Money Order, Institution checks, or electronic payment will be available. E-payments by credit card will have a 2.75 service charge.
2. If there were returned checks from last year it will be added to your registration.
3. ALL people who intend on judging MUST have a TABROOM.COM account or fees apply.
4. Parliamentary debate will no longer be on tables. We may flight or cap this event to ensure debates occur in rooms.
5. We will have 2 divisions of Varisty LD - one for those wishing to debate in a circuit-style format intending to qualify to the TOC, and one for those who prefer double-entry opportunities. They will be clearly marked. TOC LD Division will not be allowed to double-enter.
6. We will be offering parent judge training each morning at 7:30AM. Please note, we ONLY offer parent judge training at 7:30 AM. If your parents cannot make the 7:30AM training, it is your responsibility to ensure they are trained to judge at the tournament.
7. The ability to pay tournament fees online using a credit card. Details to follow.
8. The return of CSU LB Beach Forensics merchandise (Timers, Shirts). Details to follow.
We will be bringing back the following features of the Jack Howe:
We will not allow double entry in Extemporaneous Speaking and other individual events. While we have allowed this in past years, it created too many schedule problems and too many speakers were forced to choose between extemp and other speech events.
Sweepstakes calculation. We will use a percentile system to calculate the top debate program and the top IE program; we will use a "equalization" system to determine the top overall school. This new sweepstakes calculation system is a result of persistent errors in calculation that have resulted from the system we have used to calculate sweepstakes in the past.
over $10,000 in scholarships to students who win first place in a senior division event. Each top-place finisher will receive a $800 scholarship to attend CSULB and compete on our nationally ranked forensics team, where they will be required to compete for a year. This scholarship is only renewable based on grades, competition, work ethic, and need.
the use of TABROOM.COM for all registration
For general tournament inquiries, please email Deven Cooper DevenC325@gmail.com); for tournament registration, fees, and administration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, CSU Long Beach requires every adult on-site to fill out, sign, and turn in the chaperone code of conduct form. You can find more details about this in the 'Judging Information' page. A link to the form can be found on the Right side of this page. -->
All our best,
**Last year's invitation indicated that the 2016 Jack Howe was the 20th annual. This was found to be a clerical error. A copy of the invitation from the 11th annual Jack Howe tournament shows that it was in 2003: http://tdy-perdiem.com/club2/calstatelb.pdf