North Catholic Invitational
2022 — Pittsburgh, PA/US
A Storytelling ASYNCH
1. Selections used in this event should not be original, but should be published stories.
2. The selection is presented from memory to evoke a creative imagined response in the mind of the hearer. Characters should be created by action and by voice control and changes in facial expression. Mood and meaning are to be communicated through the use of the voice, gestures, pantomime and body movement.
3. The contestant may sing when singing is part of the original scene.
4. Each performer shall give a brief introduction of the selection. The purposes of the introduction are to arouse the interest of the audience and to pride the necessary background for the reading.
5. The selection should be judged for its appropriateness as contest material and its suitability to the particular contestant using it.
6. The contestants should be evaluated on poise, quality and use of voice, inflections, emphasis, pronunciation, physical expression and especially the ability to interpret characters correctly and consistently.
7. The final test of good interpretation is the ability to use all these factors so successfully and unobtrusively that the hearer forgets that this is a contest and is carried away to the time and place of the story being unfolded.