Sams Test Tournament
2021 — Online, WA/US
Open Program Oral Interp
Program of Oral Interpretation- This is a WIAA/WSFA event. .
1. POI is a program of thematically-linked selections chosen from two or three genres: prose, poetry, drama (plays). At least two pieces of literature that represent at least two separate genres must be used. Unlike the other interpretation events, Program Oral Interpretation may use multiple sources for the program. The title and author of all selections must be verbally identified within the program.
2. The use of a manuscript during the performance is required. Reading from a book or magazine is not permitted. The intact manuscript may be used by the contestant as a prop, so long as it remains in the contestant's control at all times. No costumes or props other than the manuscript are permitted. Introduction and transitional material may be memorized. Full movement, including walking, is allowed.
3. Length: The time limit is 10 minutes with a 30-second “grace period.” Should a student go beyond the grace period, the student may not be ranked 1st. Judges are to use accurate (stopwatch function) timing devices. No minimum time is mandated.
4. Publication Rules: All literature performed must meet the publication rules of the NSDA.
5. Adaptations may be used only for the purpose of transition. Changes to the script may only be used for the purpose of transition or to eliminate profane language. Transitions may be used to clarify the logical sequence of ideas. They are not to be used for the purpose of embellishing the humorous or dramatic effect of the literature.
6. (Note: for COMPLETE interp rules, including publication lists, see speechanddebate.org)