1st and 2nd Year National Championships at Woodward Academy
2017 — Atlanta, GA/US
Dear Director of Debate:
We invite your top first and second year competitors to attend the 2017 First and Second Year National Championships hosted by Woodward Academy on March 17-19, 2017. This year's tournament marks the 30th anniversary of our inaugural invitational. As has become our tradition, we will continue our commitment to generous hospitality (including, for the first time, complimentary meals for both coaches/judges and students), a free shuttle service between the tournament hotel and campus, high-quality judging, professional tabulation, and an enjoyable atmosphere that promotes competition and celebrates learning.
We offer the following events:
* First Year Policy Debate
* Second Year Policy Debate
* First Year Lincoln-Douglas Debate
* Second Year Lincoln-Douglas Debate
A first year debater is defined as a debater in their first year of high school debate competition. If they debated at a high school tournament prior to the 2016-2017 season, they are no longer first year debaters. A ninth grader with three years of high school debate is not eligible simply because they are in ninth grade.
A second year debater is defined as a debater in their second year of high school debate competition. If they debated at a high school tournament prior to the 2015-2016 season, they are not eligible for the second year division. A tenth grader in their third or fourth year of high school debate is not a second year debater.
We will strictly enforce these eligibility standards. A team entered in the wrong division will be removed from the tournament. Please see our eligibility page for specific questions and answers.
We require all students who enter the tournament to do so as an official school field trip with the permission of the school they attend and accompanied by the school's debate coach. All debaters must compete under their school's name.
All policy debate teams must be comprised of two debaters who attend the same school. Mavericks will not be allowed to enter. If a team has a debater who needs to leave mid-tournament, the decision to allow the partner to continue will be at the discretion of the tournament director. Under no circumstances may mavericks clear to elimination rounds in policy debate.
Other important details include:
* We will offer six preliminary rounds in all divisions.
* Schools will be initially limited to five entries in each division. If necessary, we will establish a waiting list for additional entry requests.
* The LD topic will be the January/February NSDA resolution (Resolved: Public colleges and universities in the United States ought not restrict any constitutionally protected speech.)
* The Policy topic will be the NSDA resolution (Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its economic and/or diplomatic engagement with the People’s Republic of China.)
* The first year policy division does not observe the Georgia Forensic Coaches' Association argument restrictions for novice divisions.
Please make checks payable to "Woodward Academy Debate." If possible, please mail in advance to:
ATTN: Maggie Berthiaume / Debate
1662 Rugby Avenue
College Park, GA 30337
If we receive your check in advance, you will be able to E-Register once in Georgia.
If you have any questions, please email Maggie Berthiaume at firstname.lastname@example.org. The entire Woodward Academy community is looking forward to hosting you soon!
Maggie Berthiaume, Bill Batterman, Jason Sigalos, and Brian Keith Jackson