California High School Speech Association State Championship
2021 — Online, CA/US
Congratulations on qualifying to the California High School Speech Association State Championship! We are so excited to have you join us for our first ever fully online State. While things may look a little different this year, our goal of empowering the students of California through top tier competition remains the same. We're so happy to have you join us!
If you need help with any part of this process, your League President and Area Chair are awesome folks to help you navigate registration (and everything leading up to and during the State Tournament itself!).
Please note: ONLY students who qualified to State during local State Qualifying Tournaments can attend CHSSA State 2021. If you're unsure if that is your student, please contact your League President and they can assist you.
Additionally, please be aware: only the coach of record on the CHSSA membership form that was submitted to your Area Chair earlier in the year may register students for State. Students may not enter themselves and no independent (non-school site) entries are allowed. If an entry is found to be created by a non-coach (ie: a student) that entry will be removed.
** This page is for the CHSSA HIGH SCHOOL State Championship only.
If you are looking for the MIDDLE SCHOOL State Championship, click here. **
NEW FOR 2021
* Speech rounds for DI, HI, Expos, OA, OO, OI, OPP, & POI, will be fully asynchronous for the first four rounds, then Semi-Finals and Finals will be synchronous. Due to concerns about safety and health, as well tournament logistics, Duo Interpretation will be fully asynchronous for the entire six rounds of the tournament. All debate and congress will be synchronous for the duration of the tournament, as well as IX, NX, and Impromptu.
Please note: we ask that our community members prioritize health and safety above all other constraints during this tournament. For all partnered debate events, we are requesting that teammates have separate cameras and be in separate spaces/physical rooms entirely, so as to not risk getting anyone sick. We know this not ideal, but the health and well-being of our community is always the top priority.
* Asynchronous speech videos need to be uploaded by April 9, 2021 at 11:59 PM.
* Speech prelims will take place Monday April 19- Thursday April 22 asynchronously. This means that Monday morning, many speech judges will receive their slate of rounds to judge and can judge at their leisure by Thursday evening.
Asynchronous speech competitors will be able to view their panels of competitors once those links are sent out for judging. Students will be able to access these videos at any time during the tournament, through their Tabroom.com accounts.
* In order to make the schedule and judges work, we have made the preliminary rounds of asynchronous speech NOT powermatched (ie: the rounds will be random). To make up for taking away powermatching in speech prelims this year, we have gone ahead and added a FOURTH prelim round of speech, so competitors will get that much more feedback.
* Supplemental Events! For the first time ever, CHSSA is offering supplemental events at State. And the best part? These three supplemental events are open to students at any CHSSA member school in good standing, even the kids who did not qualify to State in primary events. Learn more about the supplemental events here. There is an entry limit for these events, so if you're interested, sign up early! Students will have until April 16, 2021 at 5 PM to submit supplemental competition videos.
** SPECIAL BEGGING NOTE FROM THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR WHO APPRECIATES YOU VERY MUCH**
Due to switching up the schedule to accommodate online competition in a not totally unbearable way, we have a tremendous judge obligation to cover all day Saturday for debate. It's a lot. To get each of those first four debate rounds off, we need 160 non-conflicted, live, available judges. While we need a lot of speech judges, the asynchronous nature of speech competition makes that a lot easier to manage (I hope, at least).
So, all of that is to say: if you're a coach with a big speech entry, but you have a swarm of folks who would be happy to judge debate Saturday, please email me (Director@CHSSA.org). I am happy to manually adjust your judge placement so your requirement is met, but in a way that makes sure your judges are there to help us with those debate rounds. And if you want to offer up some extra debate judges out of the kindness of your heart, then you are a saint and I will honor your name forever. No pressure, but definitely appreciate if you can help!