2023 — Oxford, MS/US
Entry Fee $10.00
Overall Entry Limit 48
Entry Limit Per School 6
Entry 1 competitors per entry
- Maximum - 10 minutes, including at most a 60 second introduction to the selection.
- If the speaker goes over a 30 second grace period, that contestant must not be awarded first place.
- No minimum time.
- A selection used in Oratorical Declamation must have been originally delivered in the form of a speech by its author, a person other than the present speaker. The speaker must have an introduction which is at most one minute and names the work, author, and describes the circumstances under which the speech was originally presented. The original speaker's words must not be altered for the presentation with the exception that cutting is permitted. Selections may include professional speeches, public orations, eulogies, and sermons. Stand-up comedy routines are prohibited.
- The selection must be memorized. If the speaker refers to prepared notes of any kind or a script during the presentation, the speaker will be disqualified.
- No particular style should be demanded of the speaker; rather, the contestant should be free to select and to develop a personal style and be judged according to the degree of perfection attained and the effectiveness in influencing the listeners. While the specifics of the speech and any style of delivery that the speaker adopts should be judged in light of the purpose of the speech, artificiality is to be discredited. This event is an interpretation, not an impersonation.
- This event is limited to freshman and sophomore students.
- No properties or costumes of any kind may be used. Using “properties” means manipulating articles of clothing or objects to enhance the performance. Speakers using properties and/or wearing costumes will be disqualified.
- Positions other than standing should not be excessive in length or dominate the performance.