Texas Middle School State Tournament
2023 — Houston, TX/US
- In individual events, a student may not reuse material presented at any competition during a previous academic year. For the purposes of this tournament, the academic year begins in August and ends with the NSDA National Tournament in June. Consequently, students may not use material that they presented at the 2022 NSDA Middle School National Tournament.
- Scripts for interpretation and speaking events should be available in case of a protest.
- Each team must be accompanied by a faculty coach throughout the tournament.
- Cross-entered students are responsible for getting to their rooms on time. We will not hold up a round for any student.
- Because we are using electronic ballots, name substitutions must be made at registration. Individual judges will not have the ability to make name changes.
- Harassment, discrimination, stalking, and bullying are strictly prohibited. Individuals who violate this policy will be disqualified and asked to leave the tournament.
- Students, coaches, and parents are expected to demonstrate good sportsmanship. Individuals who demonstrate poor sportsmanship may be asked to leave.
- Competitors are expected to behave in a mature, respectful manner. We reserve the right to disqualify any student who demonstrates inappropriate behavior.
- Food and beverages may only be consumed in the cafeteria.
- Alief ISD is a tobacco and drug free district. Any use of tobacco or drugs will result in disqualification, and district police will be notified.
- Acts of theft, acts of vandalism, or tampering with a fire alarm will result in the student’s entire team being disqualified. Additionally, we will file charges with campus police.
Expectations When Competing or Observing:
- Students may not enter a classroom if a judge is not present.
- Students should not enter a classroom while another student is performing.
- Spectators and performers are expected to watch and listen attentively to the other performances. Spectators and performers should be in the room at the beginning of the round and should watch all of the performances. (Performers are exempt from this rule if they are cross-entered.)
- Furniture may not be removed from any room.
- No one should touch the classroom smart boards for any reason.