Grand Oaks TFA and NIETOC Tournament
2022 — Spring, TX/US
TOPICS AND GUIDELINES
Events will follow all TFA Rules
Policy Debate – 2022-2023 Topic
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its security cooperation with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in one or more of the following areas: artificial intelligence, biotechnology, cybersecurity.
Lincoln-Douglas Debate – 2022 October Topic
Resolved: The United States ought to implement a single-payer universal healthcare system.
Public Forum Debate – 2022 October Topic
Resolved: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase its investment in high-speed rail.
**NOVICE DEBATE WILL DEBATE VARSITY TOPICS**
WORLD SCHOOLS MOTIONS:
WSD-Cross enter at own risk...WSD will not wait on IE
(FOLLOW the expectations of this event...NO electronics used in rounds or impromptu prep-timer only-no phones)
Round 1 - This House believes that states should construct data-based profiles of their citizens (e.g. the social credit system in China).
Round 2 - Impromptu
Round 3 - This House believes that the environmental rights of future generations supersede the economic interests of current generations.
Quarters- This House supports a maximum age limit for national office holders in the United States.
Semis - Impromptu
Finals: flip for sides and debate Citizen Profile motion from Round 1
Students may run for Presiding Officer. Candidates should be entered during online registration.
Bills can be found on the TFA Website
Poetry and Prose
Readers choice with a 7 minute time limit with a 30 second grace
Section A: Extemp, Prose, Novice Prose, DI, Informative
Section B: Poetry, Novice Poetry, OO, HI, Novice OO, Impromptu, POI
NLD, CLD, NPF, PF Debate $30
CX Debate $50
IE, Duo, Duet $20
NOVICE IE $15
World Schools Debate $40
Hospitality/Judging Fee $100 per school
1. No smoking on campus
2. Ballots will be distributed in coaches’ lounge ASAP
3. Concessions will be available in the cafeteria (list of items available will be emailed prior to tournament)
4. Students may not enter a room without a judge present
5. NO WRITING ON BOARDS IN ROOM PLEASE
6. Postings will be in the cafeteria and coaches’ lounge (tab notifications take presedence)
7. Students may enter up to two events per section. Students may enter only one debate division and only one extemp division. No student may enter both Varsity and Novice divisions of that event. Student Congress participants may enter IE's, but not debate or duet.
8. World Schools debaters enter IE events at your own risk-WSD rounds will not be held to wait on IE competitors MANAGE your schedule
9. Debate brackets WILL be broken in all debate events.
10. It will be up to each competitor to take care of cross entry conflicts. EXTEMP always keep your speaking order first.
11. A novice is a competitor in their first year of speech or debate competition. Even if you competed in IE last year and this is your first year to debate YOU ARE NOT A NOVICE.
National Speech & Debate Association Harassment and Discrimination Policy: The National Speech & Debate Association is committed to providing its participants, judges, coaches, and staff the opportunity to pursue excellence in their endeavors. This opportunity can exist only when each member of our community is assured an atmosphere of mutual respect. The NSDA prohibits all forms of harassment and discrimination. Accordingly, all forms of harassment and discrimination, whether written or oral, based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by any applicable federal, state, or local law are prohibited, whether committed by participants, judges, coaches, or observers. Individuals who are found to have violated this policy will be subject to the full range of sanctions, up to and including removal from the tournament premises.
Trophies will be awarded to all 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners
Medals will be given for 4th-6th
Team Plaques for World Schools Semis to Champions
Sweepstakes trophies will be awarded in both IE's and Debate, as well as an overall sweepstakes trophy for IE plus Debate points.