2021 UHSAA 5A State
2021 — NSDA Campus, UT/US
Congress Orders of the Day
Orders of the Day
- This body shall act as a federal body.
- One chair shall be elected every hour and shall appoint a timekeeper based on their own decision. Judges will be instructed to value a student’s time as chair as they would one speech for every hour or part thereof as chair.
- All sessions shall be at least two and a half hours unless amended by the tournament director.
- Students will use the docket proposed by the tournament director. The docket should consist of selections from the UDCA-approved list. Students are responsible for printing their own copies of the docket.
- If an item on the docket has been authored by a student in the room, that student has priority for the authorship speech. In addition, if the initial author is not in the chamber, any student from the author’s school has priority to give the authorship speech. This speech counts towards the priority of the student speaking. If the author or a student from the school is not present, authorship speeches follow priority.
- Priority will be preset by random selection before the tournament starts.
- Speeches shall last up to three minutes.
- A mandatory two-minute questioning period will automatically follow each sponsorship speech and each first negative speech; all other speakers will have a one-minute questioning period.
- Speeches shall alternate affirmative, negative, affirmative, etc.
- Points of order and personal privileges shall not count off the speaker’s time.
- Amendment debates shall be limited to ten minutes, not to count off the original time of the main motion. When the ten minutes have passed, previous question will automatically be in order. Speakers on amendments shall be allowed three minutes of speaking time with a one minute questioning period and amendment speeches will count towards priority. Students proposing amendments are not guaranteed an authorship speech. Any student may give the sponsorship speech, though strict priority must be followed.
- All amendments shall be written and submitted to the Parliamentarian (or chair if there is no Parliamentarian) before they are to be considered. No amendments to amendments will be considered.
- Objection to consideration will have a one-on-one debate. The objector will speak, followed by the sponsor. Each speech will last one minute, after which Previous Question is automatically in effect on the motion for objection to consideration. The sponsor’s speech in defense will not count against his/her priority. Each congressperson will be limited to one objection to consideration motion/speech during the entire time convened which will count towards priority.
- Motions for previous question cannot be made until after the first negative speech.
- Strict Priority will be followed at all times and priority will carry over throughout the tournament. This does not include a Bloodbath round.
- For online tournaments, students should use the hand raise function to be acknowledged by the chair for speeches and questioning. The thumbs up, thumbs down function shall be used to vote.
- Obstructionists cannot be removed without permission from the tournament director.
- Orders of the day are NOT debatable or amendable.