NPDL Fall Invitational
2020 — Online, US
**Please read the Sunday Morning Procedures in the sidebar.**
The National Parliamentary Debate League is pleased to invite you to the NPDL Fall Invitational - an online high school parliamentary debate tournament.
Varsity resolutions will be posted on this Google Doc.
Novice resolutions will be announced on a different Google Doc.
Saturday, October 24 - preliminary rounds
Sunday, October 25 - elimination rounds
Full schedule is in the sidebar.
- Saturday rounds will be on NSDA Campus.
- Sunday elimination rounds will be on Zoom.
- Communication will be on Discord.
Instructions are in the sidebar.
Equity + Protests
Equity Officer is Mikendra McCoy
Protests will be handled by the tab staff
To file a protest or equity complaint, please fill out this Google Form
Before filing an equity complaint, please review our Equity Policy.
This is a free tournament.
Every school may enter 6 open teams and 4 novice teams. Any additional teams will be waitlisted.
Registration closes: October 16, 11:59PM (Pacific)
Judges entry due: October 19, 11:59PM (Pacific)
- Only students from NPDL member schools may compete. To register your school for NPDL, click here.
- Each school is allowed one hybrid entry.
- All students shall be registered under their school or designated as “[SCHOOL NAME] Independent”. Hybrid teams of students from different schools shall be registered using both school names.
- Each school will be allowed one maverick entry in novice.
- Homeschooled debaters may enter if they affiliate with a member school.
There will be two divisions - varsity and novice.
A novice debater is
- in their first academic year of debate competition, and/or
- has competed in no more than three debate tournaments.
Seniors cannot compete in novice. Coaches are discouraged from entering juniors in novice.
A novice team is composed of two novice debaters.
The judge requirement is 1 judge per 2 entries. Judge obligations are calculated separately for each division.
If you cannot cover your judging obligation, or, conversely, if you want to volunteer to judge, please email npdl.board+FALL@gmail.com
A judge must:
- be fluent in English,
- be familiar with the basic rules of parliamentary debate,
- have a device with a working camera and audio,
- have experience using video conferencing,
- be at least 18 years old and not be a current high school student.
All teams will have the option of striking one or more judges, depending on the final size of the pool. Strikes will open October 21, close October 23 at 5PM, and can be entered in Tabroom.
This tournament will count for NPDL points.
- Rounds 1-3 will allow any authentic evidence to be cited by debaters.
- Rounds 4-5 and elimination rounds will not allow citation to published sources.
- Partner prep only.
- Internet prep is allowed.
Full round rules can be found here and in the sidebar.
The NPDL league meeting will be held on Sunday, October 25, 12:30-2:30PM (Pacific Time), i.e. 3:30-5:30PM (Eastern Time).
The Zoom link and other details will be sent to all member school representatives.