2022 — Coeur d'Alene, ID/US
Solo Musical Theatre
General Rules–Acting Events
1. Makeup, costumes, and props are optional and shall not be part of the evaluation. Props are not allowed in pantomime.
2. Ensembles are composed of two actors.
3. Time limits include set-up, intro, performance and strike.
4. Competitors shall receive no outside assistance once the round has started.
5. Presentations may not contain more than 25% singing, except the Musical Theatre category.
6. Props as Weapons
a. The use of real weapons is prohibited.
b. Props that represent weapons must be made out of unpainted, undecorated wood, foam or cardboard and must not have moving parts, sharp points or sharp edges.
c. All props representing firearms must be made out of unpainted, undecorated wood or cardboard.
d. Props that represent weapons must be checked in at the tab desk immediately upon arrival by the coach.
7. Discharge of any type of dispersing machine or pyrotechnic device (i.e., fog machine, flash pot) is prohibited. Violation of this rule will result in immediate disqualification. Airbrush equipment and aerosols may be used during the makeup process under the supervision of the assigned proctor.
8. The performance will be staged for ¾ arena or proscenium with the acting area not larger than 15 feet by 15 feet.
9. Recording of a competitor’s performance in any format, photographs or video, during the rounds is strictly prohibited.
Solo Acting - Musical Theatre
Time Limit: 2-8 min.
1. Scenes must be from a single published, non-published, or copyrighted script* not written by a high school student. Recordings or videos shall not be used as the primary source.
*Script shall refer to plays, librettos, ballets, film and television scripts, song lyrics and cuttings from literature.
2. The emphasis shall be on acting, singing and movement rather than on technical aspects (lighting, makeup, stage setting, etc.) and may include dialogue.
3. The student may perform a cappella, or will provide recorded instrumental accompaniment without lead or backup vocals. No live instrumental accompaniment shall be allowed.
4. The student will provide their own sound equipment.