Crowe Warken Debates at Navy
2018 — MD/US
You are cordially invited to enter the Crowe-Warken Debates at the United States Naval Academy on January 13-15, 2018.
Competitors will debate the CEDA/NDT/ADA topic.
The tournament will include Varsity, Junior Varsity and Novice level competition and feature eight preliminary rounds of debate followed by elimination rounds.
Fees will be $65 per person, which covers our food expenses. Checks should be made out to "Midshipman Welfare Fund" (not to Navy Debate, please).
Trophies will be awarded to all teams advancing to the octofinal round. Trophies will also be awarded to the top ten individual speakers in each division of debate. The Frank Harrison Award for Excellence in Coaching will be awarded to the coaches of the winners of each division. The John Jay Pierpont Trophy, an eighteenth-century silver cup, will be presented to the winning Varsity team. The Pierpont Trophy may be displayed at the winning school for one calendar year.
Tournament accommodations are available at the Springhill Suites by Marriott, 189 Admiral Cochrane Drive, Annapolis, MD 21401. Their telephone number is 443-321-2500. Please request the USNA Debate Tournament Teams Block. The group rate is $99/night. Springhill Suites has guaranteed room rate and availability for tournament participants until December 22. Tournament registration will be held at the Springhill on Friday January 12. Additionally, as the Springhill provides a continental breakfast beginning at 6 am, only coffee will be provided at the tournament in the morning. Lunch will be provided at the tournament on all three days.
Link to hotel reservation is here: http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=USNA%20Debate%20Teams%5Ebwisu%60DEBDEBA%7CDEBDEBB%6099.00%60USD%60false%606%601/12/18%601/15/18%6012/22/17&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes
To ensure a pleasant experience at the Crowe-Warken Debates, please inform your participants of the following:
1. The Tournament will be governed by ADA rules. Mutual preference judging will be applied in all three divisions. Hybrid teams may clear. The tab room will be directed by an outside committee, so in accordance with ADA rules, USNA teams may clear and receive speaker awards.
2. The tournament will be conducted in academic facilities that will be used for classes shortly after the conclusion of the event. Please respect the room and the materials within it.
3. There is absolutely no smoking in any Naval Academy building. Smoking areas are located outside some USNA buildings. Please dispose of smoking materials responsibly.
4. Audio and Visual Recording: All rounds (defined as the speeches and judge critiques) are open to the public under invitation from the USNA Debate team and may be electronically recorded as per AFA rules. We strongly recommend any recordings be accessible to those competing/judging if asked. Public release of recordings require the consent of both parties videotaped and USNA Debate.
5. The Fifteen-Minute Forfeit rule will be in effect. If a team is not ready to debate 15 minutes after the announced start time of a debate, they forfeit the round. All judges are asked to finish coaching their team 5 minutes before round start time and get to the rounds they are judging. Judges who are fifteen or more minutes late to their rounds will cause the top team of the school (as determined by the tab room) they are representing to forfeit a debate.
6. We will need security information for each person driving onto the Yard. This year that information is only the driver’s name and cell phone number. We will need this information by January 1.
7. If you have any questions, please contact Danielle Verney O’Gorman at 410.293.6853 or 443-462-2891.
We look forward to enjoying the fine Annapolis-in-January weather with you this year!
Danielle Verney O’Gorman LCDR Jessica Cleary LCDR Michael Sturm
Director of Debate Officer Representative Officer Representative
Naval Academy Debate Tournament
Tentative Tournament Schedule
January 13-15, 2018
Friday, January 12
2000-2300 PM: Early Registration, Springhill Suites, Annapolis (teams who do not arrive for early registration should contact Danielle and we will arrange for registration and vehicle access on Saturday morning)
Saturday, January 13
0730 Pairings for Round 1 and 2 released
0745 USNA Buildings Open to debaters
0830-1100 Round I
1100-1330 Round II
1330 Lunch—Hart Room above Mahan
1400 Round 3 and 4 pairing released
1430-1700 Round III
1700-1930 Round IV
Sunday, January 14
0730 Pairings for Round 5 and 6 released
0745 USNA Buildings Open to debaters
0830-1100 Round V
1100-1330 Round VI
1330 Lunch – Hart Room above Mahan
1400 Round 7 pairing released
1430-1700 Round VII
1715 Round 8 pairing released
1745-2015 Round VIII
Monday, January 16
0730 USNA Buildings Open
0745 Coin Flip Deadline per ADA Rules
0815-1100 First Elim
1115 Awards Ceremony—Mahan Lobby
1145-1415 Second Elim
1400 Lunch—Hart Room above Mahan
1445-1730 Third Elim
1800-2045 Fourth Elim
2100-2345 Fifth Elim (if sufficient numbers)