Cal Parli Invitational
2017 — Berkeley, CA/US
We would love to get your feedback on the tournament so we can continue to improve next year:
SCHEDULE CHANGE: SPEAKER AWARDS AND BREAKS AFTER ROUND 5.
Judge obligation for Sunday:
No breaks from your school: no judges
Any breaks in either division from your school: one judge Sunday. The judge is obligated one round past the elimination of your last team.
PLEASE TELL TAB THE NAME OF YOUR JUDGE BEFORE YOU LEAVE.
OPEN ROUND 5 AT 6:15 PM
TENTATIVE NOVICE ROUND 4 AT 5 PM.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: OPEN ROUND 4 TENTATIVELY ADVANCED TO 3:45.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: NOVICE ROUND 3 TENTATIVELY ADVANCED TO 2:30.
UPDATE: like the Cal Parli Invitational 2017 for topic updates:
Dear Coaches and Students,
The Debate Society of Berkeley cordially invites you to attend the second annual Cal Parli Invitational, which will be held the weekend of October 14th-15th.
The invitational offers a competition of California and Bay Area high school debate in a two-day format. We will be offering five preliminary rounds in Open Division, and four preliminary rounds in Novice Division.
Awards will be presented to all teams who advance to octofinals or beyond. Speaker awards will also be presented to the top speakers in each division.
Online registration & tournament details will be available starting August 31st at https://www.tabroom.com/index/tourn/index.mhtml?tourn_id=7624. Our tournament policy is now available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzz9fVMiwKxscDdEUThPY0xDd28/view. It includes our topic committee members, and a more comprehensive look at the tournament's tab and prep policies.
We encourage you to contact us with any questions regarding the tournament. We anticipate a fun, competitive, and educational tournament and hope to see you there!
Debate Society of Berkeley
7:00 AM-7:45 AM Registration
8:00 AM Round 1 (Open)
9:00 AM Round 1 (Novice)
10:15 AM Round 2 (Open)
11:30 AM Round 2 (Novice)
1:15 PM Round 3 (Open)
2:45 PM Round 3 (Novice)
4:15 PM Round 4 (Open)
5:45 PM Round 4 (Novice)
7:15 PM Round 5 (Open)
9:00 AM Speaker Awards
9:30 AM Partial Double-Octos (Novice)
10:45 AM Octofinals (Open)
12:00 PM Octofinals (Novice)
1:15 PM Quarterfinals
2:45 PM Semifinals
4:15 PM Finals
*Update (10/9/17): Despite the language of the tournament policy, independent teams are welcome to compete at the Cal Parli Invitational. All teams are required to bring chaperones and a tab contact, regardless of affiliation.
- Novice is defined as first year of any type of debate.
- Partner prep only, internet allowed during prep. Students must use only materials prepared during prep in round.
- Registration opens August 31st, and closes October 9th at 5:00 PM.
- Please arrive early, as the University of California Berkeley campus can be confusing upon first arrival.
- The schedule is subject to change. If circumstances allow, we may move up the beginning of rounds that are running ahead of schedule. Please check the Cal Parli Invitational Facebook page throughout Saturday for updates. Topics will also be announced there.
- Respecting your time is critical to us. In order to do that and hopefully run a timely tournament, we will be enforcing a 15 minute forfeit rule for every round. This means that any team not present at their assigned round 15 minutes after prep time has elapsed will forfeit that round.
- Food will be provided to coaches and judges free of charge. Please be sure to inform the tournament of any dietary restrictions or allergies well in advance of the tournament.
- Students are expected to wear business appropriate attire.
- Every team must provide 1 judge per 2 teams entered or fraction thereof.
- In order to maintain a fair debate environment we ask that all judges report their conflicts (their students and/or school and/or students they know) on tabroom.com.
- SPACE IS LIMITED — PLEASE REGISTER EARLY
- Open Division fee: $75 per team
- Novice Division fee: $65 per team
- Judging Fee: $100 per uncovered team
- Late Fee: $30 for adding/dropping a team after the deadline (in addition to the entry fee), or any change less than 24 hours before the tournament.
- Make all checks payable to: Pranav Shankar (our Financial Chair)
- Fees must be paid by cash or check upon registration at the tournament. Failure to pay will result in dropping from the tournament.
- The Debate Society of Berkeley is committed to making the tournament accessible to all teams, regardless of means. If the above fees would be a hardship, please contact us.