Southern Minnesota District Tournament
2023 — MN/US
Southern Minnesota District Qualifier
for the 2024 National Tournament
District Communication History
Did you miss an email? Or maybe you just cannot find that last update. Or want to share something with your team. We have you covered. You can find a copy of all district email messages in this folder.
Tournament Registration Dates & Information
|Event||Registration Opens||Registration Closes||Tournament Dates|
|Congressional||10/9/2023||11/13/2023||11/17 & 18/2023|
|Debate (LD, PF, CX)||12/4/2023||1/15/2024||1/19 & 20/2024|
|Big Questions||1/7/2024||2/5/2024||2/7 & 8/2024|
|Speech||1/15/2024||3/1/2024||3/8 & 9/2024|
Southern MN Judge Requirements and Burdens
The Southern MN Committee will hire judges for each of the four qualifying tournaments. For Debate (LD, PF, CX) and Speech, the Committee will hold an election process to hire the required number of judges for each tournament. This election typically takes place within 30 days prior to the event. For Congressional Debate and Big Question Debate, the Committee will collaborate with Central NSDA and coaches to hire appropriate judges who have no conflicts of interest for these events.
To be eligible to judge, individuals must be at least two full years post-graduation from high school. However, if the individual is an active head or assistant coach at a program in Southern MN, they are eligible to judge if they are only one full year removed from high school. For the 2023-24 season, this means that all eligible individuals would need to have graduated by 2021 at the latest. An active head or assistant coach would need to have graduated by 2022.
The following judge requirements are set for all competition events:
- Congressional Debate: 1 judge for every 5 entries.
- LD/PF/CX Debate: 1 judge for every 2 entries.
- Big Questions Debate: 1 judge for every 2 entries.
- Speech: 1 judge for every 5 entries.
Southern MN encourages all judges to complete the NSDA Cultural Competence Judge Training. You can find information about the training on the NSDA website.
- 1st Place - Jacob Braginsky (Eagan)
- 2nd Place - Addison Wendt (Bloomington Kennedy)
- 1stPlace - Hiba Rahman (Eagan) 2ndPlace - Saanvi Seth (Eagan) 3rdPlace - Nabiha Kashif (Eagan) 4thPlace - Pranika Kumar (Edina) 5thPlace - Nithin Palani (Eden Prairie) 6thPlace - Brade Sternberg (Eagan) 7thPlace - Alison Wandmacher (Robbinsdale Armstrong)