ADA Nationals at Georgetown
2023 — Washington, DC/US
2023 ADA National Championship
Awards Ceremony Slides
Full invite -->
Hybrid/online debates happen here - ada.classrooms.cloud
Judges for online or hybrid debates can judge in Reiss 262.
For help - use Classroom help or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use this email instead of backchanneling folks in the Tabroom.
Payment & Fees
Fees for online teams: $100 per team, covering the platform, tabbing expenses, and trophies.
Fees for in-person teams: $100 per person, covering the above costs in addition to food and cleaning expenses.
ADA membership: In order to participate at ADA Nationals, each institution must be a member of the ADA for 2022-23. Dues are $75.
You can pay fees and dues at this link: https://americandebateassociation.com/ada-nationals/ada-nats-fees-2023/
New, emerging programs, or anyone else that does not have a budget and would otherwise have to pay out of pocket please contact the ADA President, Patrick Waldinger (contact info is on the right hand side of this page).
Fees will be locked on Tuesday, February 28.
The ADA welcomes you to the ADA National Tournament hosted in person at Georgetown and online via Classrooms.Cloud from March 3-5, 2023!
Some ADA Nationals Specific Rules To Note:
**Judges must have at least 10 rounds of judging on the 2022/23 debate topic prior to ADA Nationals to count toward your team's judging commitment. Otherwise they will be a free strike.
**Hybrids are welcome to debate, but cannot make elimination rounds unless they have debated at 3 ADA tournaments as a team prior to ADA Nationals.
**To participate, each school must be a patron member of the ADA. You can pay for membership when you pay your entry fees or you can pay now.
The tournament will run Friday, March 3 to Sunday, March 5.
The tournament is hybrid and will use Classrooms.Cloud for online and hybrid debates. Everything in person is on Georgetown's campus - all rounds, including elims on Sunday, and awards.
There will be 6 rounds of preliminary debates in Novice, JV, and Varsity divisions, followed by an appropriate number of elimination debates.
Hybrid entries are welcome, but see above for the ADA specific rules on eligibility to clear to elimination rounds as a hybrid team. Reiss 262 is available for judges to adjudicate online/mixed-modality debates.
Chris Palmer will tab the tournament.
Helpline: For online debates, please use the helpline ticketing system built into Classrooms.Cloud. Otherwise, you can email@example.com. Please use this email instead of backchanneling folks in the Tabroom.
Classroom Policy: It is the policy of Georgetown University to prohibit the consumption of food, beverages, and smoking materials in all university classrooms and corridors. Any activities that will potentially cause damage to the space, furniture, or equipment (i.e. stacking of furniture, dancing, etc.) are prohibited. Any sound (e.g. musical rehearsals or amplified sound ) that is audible to those in contiguous classrooms is also prohibited. All users of classrooms are expected to honor this policy.
Times are ET
The tentative schedule is available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Tse9ve_VjnP3g1Gk8p6RontIt_5CIEHLUqLXMveta8/edit#gid=0
2 prelims on Friday, 4 prelims and awards reception on Saturday, and elims on Sunday
Georgetown has negotiated the following rates:
- Georgetown Marriott, which was the tournament hotel for the Georgetown Tournament. The rates for that hotel are $179 per night for King Bed and $199 for Doubles. Parking is $50 per night. The link to book the Georgetown Marriott is here: https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1671647264148&key=GRP&app=resvlink. The last day to book is February 24th. Any destination fees that show up on the Summary of Charges will not be charged as long as you are associated with the block.
- Residence Inn Arlington. This hotel is right next to DCA and about a fifteen minute drive from campus. The rate for doubles is $179.00 a night which includes breakfast and Wi-Fi. Parking is $20 per night. The link to book is here: https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1674079584315&key=GRP&app=resvlink. The last day to book is February 13th.
Some other affordable options in Arlington include:
- Clarion Collection Hotel Arlington - $147.00 per night
- Comfort Inn Ballston - $132.00 per night
- Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima - $148.00 per night