IHSSA State Debate
2023 — Ankeny, IA/US
Hello! Hello! IHSSA Debate Directors!
We are beyond excited to host your school at the 2023 IHSSA State Debate tournament this weekend, January 6/7. We are thrilled you are offering your students this forever opportunity! The tournament will be held at the Ankeny campus of DMACC. Building 5 will house the tournament headquarters. Please review this MAP of the campus.
Some reminders of rules/regulations for the IHSSA tournament:
1. SCHEDULE: Registration will be in building #5 (Student Center) between 11:00 - 12:00 on Friday. Round 1 of Policy, Lincoln-Douglas, and Public Forum begins at 12:30 pm on Friday. Student Congress has a General Meeting at 1:30.
Saturday's first round is at 8:00 am. Review the full schedule HERE.
2. ONLINE BALLOTS: Congress, PF, LD, and Policy judges will use online ballots through Tabroom.com; paper ballots will not be printed. Judges, please make sure you bring a laptop or tablet to complete your ballots! If you're new to online ballots, review this how-to sheet.
3. ONLINE PAIRINGS: Pairings for PF, LD, and Policy will be released online through Tabroom.com. Students can navigate to ihssa.tabroom.com and click the Pairings tab to see when and where they are debating.
4. PARADIGMS: Judges in Policy and Lincoln-Douglas must have a judging paradigm. Please log in to Tabroom and click "Paradigm" under the Judging header on the right side of your account. Answer the questions found on this form for Policy and this form for LD in your paradigm.
5. JUDGES BOND: Each school will pay a refundable judges bond of $200. This bond must be received prior to the tournament or at registration. The refund will occur after the completion of your school's judging obligation. This bond may be a separate school check or a personal check which will be held for return at the end of the tournament. If the bond is included in the entry fee, a check will be written for the refund amount. It will be mailed if not picked up.
6. HIRING: We are hiring LD and Policy judges! Please email Lauren Burdt (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you know judges available to be hired in those events.
7. FOOD: Food options including vegetarian and gluten-free options will be available onsite by Ankeny Main Street Cafe and Bakery on Friday from 12:00 NOON - 6:00 PM and also all day Saturday. Here is the MENU. Cafe X (coffee, smoothies, wraps, sandwiches) is open Fri 11-7. DMACC is also permitting schools to have food delivered this year if you need other options. We encourage you to pack extra snacks for your students through the support of your local Booster Clubs.
8. PF JUDGING: Because we host two divisions of Public Forum, the Judges tab of your school's Tabroom registration will show that your school's judges are in a different division than your competitors. As long as your judging tab is not highlighted red, that means your obligation is covered and no action is needed! Feel free to reach out to me to confirm you're all set if you have questions.
9. T SHIRTS will be available for purchase through FINE DESIGNS as well as the IHSSA website.
10. CHARACTER COUNTS: Please review with your students expectations about taking care of facilities and leaving things better than we found them. We are most grateful to DMACC for their generous partnership with the IHSSA and hope to continue this relationship.
Please reach out to Lauren for assistance adding late judges. Thank you!
In the spirit of speech education,
Lauren Burdt, IHSSA Debate Contest Manager & Stacy Hansen, IHSSA Executive Director