CFL Novice Debate
2022 — Westmont HS, CA/US
All participants need to complete the appropriate Covid Safety Form as available on this page of the CFL website.
Please see the CFL Bylaws regarding Novice Eligibility:
1) All of the following requirements must be met in order for a student to be entered in the Novice division:
- The student is in their first twelve months of debate competition
- The student is in their first academic year of speech competition
- The student has not attended debate camp
- The student has not competed in Varsity competition at any debate tournament
- The student has competed in no more than one Varsity speech tournament
- The student did not “advance” beyond prelim rounds of any Novice debate tournament (including 3-0 record in CFL Novice)
- The student has not competed in more than 3 middle school debate tournaments.
- The student has not, while a middle school student, competed in a high school tournament.
The topic area for parli will be "US Economic Policy."
Resolved: The People’s Republic of China ought to prioritize environmental protection over economic growth.
Resolved: The United States’ strategy of Great Power Competition produces more benefits than harms.
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its security cooperation with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in one or more of the following areas: artificial intelligence, biotechnology, cybersecurity.
Novice Topic Areas for 2022-2023
Artificial Intelligence: Restrict development and/or use of Lethal Autonomous Weapons (LAWs)
Biotechnology: Ban the use of germline genetic engineering in humans
Biotechnology: Substantially increase funding for vaccine research
Biotechnology: Increase data sharing and transparency of info in regards to bioterror
Cyber: Ban offensive cyber operations
9:00 Round 1
11:00 Round 2
1:30 Round 3