Alabama State 2022
2022 — Birmingham, AL/US
We are pleased to invite you to the ASDA State Tournament April 8-9 on the campuses of Samford University in Birmingham, AL, sponsored by the National Speech and Debate Association.
Please take time to navigate the pages listed to the right for all pertinent information regarding this tournament. In addition, I have posted the ASDA rules. There are a few things that I want to highlight.
1. We are using the April PF topic on Japan and the March/April LD topic on free press.
LD topic: Resolved: In a democracy, a free press ought to prioritize objectivity over advocacy.
PF topic: Resolved: Japan should revise Article 9 of its Constitution to develop offensive military capabilities.
2. This year we are running both sessions of Congress on Friday, April 8 to avoid an extra night hotel cost. Please see the schedule on the right.
3. Large teams please be aware of the entry cap rules. 24 in IE, and 20 in Debate. For Congress, you may enter up to 6 students in 2 of the 3 chambers.
4. Please, please, please bring judges! This tournament only works if it is single flighted. Judges may be repeated in Congress, IE, and Debate, but cannot be entered in more than one debate event.
5. I will send out ASDA Coach of the Year ballots via email to coaches at a future time.
6. Tabroom registration closes on Monday, April 4.
7. Legislation must be emailed to email@example.com by Friday, April 1st . The packet will be sent back out to coaches that day, one week before Congress begins. Each school may submit a maximum of 2 bills and we will use the same rules as Districts this year. The docket will be randomly set and there are not sponsorship speeches.
8. In Speech, if there are 7 or fewer entries, there will be no Final round with place being determined by rounds 1-3. If there are 8 or more entries, there will be a Final round with place being determined by Finals.
9. In Debate, if there are 7 or fewer entries, we will have a Round Robin tournament in that division. If there are 8 - 15 entries, we will break to Semifinals in that division. If there are 16 - 39 entires, we will break to Quarterfinals in that division. If there are 40+, we will break to Octafinals in that division.
10. This year the tournament will offer Big Questions. This will run at the same time as the other debate events on Saturday in the same way. Entries into this event will count towards your 20 entry debate cap and will count towards sweepstakes points. In addition, if the event has at least 15 entries, the champion of Big Questions will qualify to NSDA Nationals in June! In addition, the top 4 competitors will each receive $250 for their speech and debate team.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you at the tournament.
Nate Conoly, State tournament director