2021 Cal Parli Invitational
2021 — NSDA Campus, CA/US
Dear Coaches and Debaters:
The Debate Society of Berkeley invites you to attend the Sixth Annual Cal Parli Invitational, which will be held virtually on October 9-10, 2021, using NSDA Campus.
We will be offering five preliminary rounds in both divisions. We plan to break to Double Octofinals in the Open division and Octofinals in Novice, subject to adjustment based on final field size.
The Debate Society of Berkeley is a successful debate team at the world’s premier public university. The Cal Parli Invitational is one of the largest parli tournaments of the year.
We are excited to welcome competitors from across the United States. If you are an international team interested in competing, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to contact us with any other questions regarding the tournament. We anticipate a fun, competitive, and educational tournament and hope to see you there!
Debate Society of Berkeley
• A team is eligible to compete in the novice division if neither partner competed in any form of debate before the 2021-22 season, or if both partners are currently middle school debaters.
• Hybrid teams should be registered under the names of both schools. (Please contact us if unusual circumstances make this impossible.) We do not guarantee that they will be protected against hitting a team from a constituent school, although it is very unlikely.
• Any team, including a club or independent team, that is not registered under the name of the school the students attend must submit written permission from a school administrator or coach to attend by October 2nd. Teams may not avoid per-school entry caps by registering under a different name.
• You must provide 1 judge per 2 teams entered, rounded up. For example, if a school has 3 teams, then it would need 1.5 judges, which rounds up to 2 judges.
• Entry fees are $75 per open team and $60 per novice team due by October 4th. Please see the “Payment Information” tab for details.
• The judging fee is $150 per uncovered team. This will be assessed as of October 2nd. Judges are obligated through one round after the last team from their school is eliminated.
• There is a late fee of $30 for adding/dropping a team or after the deadline (in addition to the entry fee), or for any changes in the last 24 hours before the tournament.
• The missed ballot penalty is $50/round. This includes ballots not picked up, and those with no decision entered within 30 minutes after the end of the round.
• The Debate Society of Berkeley is committed to making the tournament accessible to all teams, regardless of means. If the entry fees impose financial hardship, please fill out the fee waiver request form.
• The tournament will follow NPDL online round rules and online best practices. Internet preparation is permitted. Partner prep only. Rules regarding citation of evidence will follow the NPDL 2021-22 recommendations.
• The tournament will be held on the NSDA campus platform and tabbed on Tabroom.com. All competitors and judges must have linked Tabroom accounts in advance of the tournament.
• The Tab Director will be Joel Jacobs.
• The members of the topic committee will be announced at least two weeks before the tournament. Topic area(s) will be released one week prior to the tournament.
• Teams and their judges have the responsibility to disclose conflicts related to club teams and other organizations. A judge who receives a ballot to judge a team affiliated with the same club as the judge must notify tab immediately, or the affected ballot will be given to the other team.
• An adult chaperone must be reachable by telephone and/or text message at all times during the tournament.