TeleHealth Access for Seniors Charity Debate Classic
2020 — Zoom/Discord, FL/US
Welcome to the 2020 TeleHealth Access for Seniors Charity Debate Classic
Expand medical access by debating the Medicare topic! This is a perfect opportunity for teams to compete/practice for the upcoming NSDA Season Opener by UK and the Yale Invitational.
TeleHealth Access for Seniors
TeleHealth Access for Seniors is a student-led non-profit that provides low-income seniors and veterans camera-enabled devices and technology guides so they can connect to their physicians via telemedicine. As COVID surges across the nation, time is of the essence to shield these underserved populations from infection and social isolation. To learn more, click here.
- $5 buys a charger, $50 buys a new Amazon Fire Tablet, and $85 buys a new Android Tablet!
- The judging at this tournament will be absolutely amazing. We are hand-selecting former Public Forum debaters who possess plenty of experience.
- After each round, you will be provided thorough comments, critiques, and suggestions to improve your debating skills.
- Champions, runner-ups, and top speaker will all be provided a monetary prize (Amazon gift cards) for their accomplishments!
Public Forum Entry Eligibility
- If you are financially capable of contributing to TeleHealth Access for Seniors, each partner please donate $10 to our GoFundMe page or Venmo @telehealtha4s. If it is a financial burden to you, no worries, still sign up and try to get your friends and family members to donate. When donating, please state/select the volunteer who referenced you to this tournament so funds are directed toward their local community!
- Current high school students may compete.
- No Mavericks may compete, but students from different high schools may compete together to form Hybrid teams.
- Please no anonymous entries, use your real full names or you will be removed if found.
- Independent entries are permitted, and even encouraged.
Tournament Logistics and General Information
- This tournament will be run through a discord server, shoutout to Ashwin Balaje for helping us out with this, but there will be an option of switching over to Zoom at the discretion of the judge and members of the round if there are complications for participants on the discord server on a round-to-round basis.
- Prep time will be extended to 4 minutes, to alleviate the difficulties posed by the online nature of this tournament.
- This is a charity tournament, therefore do not get too competitive or make it more difficult for everyone involved.
- This tournament is designed to be debating the Medicare for All topic. Any non-resolution arguments will be met with a Loss and 20 speaker points, as we are encouraging debaters to engage with the Septober topic in preparation for future tournaments.
- Trigger Warnings for sensitive issues/topics are mandatory, and any practice a majority of the community would find abusive should be warranted in a speech for the judge's discretion.
- This tournament has a no-tolerance policy towards any harassment or discrimination. We will automatically kick and remove any violators.
The Discord Server
More information will be coming soon.
All prelims will be double flighted. All times are in EST. *This is a tentative schedule. Finally schedule will ultimately be decided based on number of entries.
Friday (September 4th, 2020)
Round 1: 8:00 - 10:00PM
Saturday (September 5th, 2020)
Round 2: 11:00 - 1:00PM
Round 3: 2:00 - 4:00PM
Round 4: 5:00 - 7:00PM
Round 5: 8:00 - 10:00PM
Sunday (September 6th, 2020)
Round 6: 11:00 - 1:00PM
Octos: 2:00 - 3:00PM
Quarters: 3:30 - 4:30PM
Semis: 5:00 - 6:00PM
Finals: 6:30 - 7:30PM