2020 — Fremont, CA/US
Irvington High School
Saturday, February 1, 2020
- TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENT DOCUMENT: https://tinyurl.com/VikingsAnnouncements
- Our campus map can be found here
- Judge Room: Norse Hall (Room 104A)
- Tabroom: Norse Hall (Room 104A)
- Prep Room: Small Gym
- ALL debaters should be in the Small Gym by 7:30 AM, and ALL judges and coaches should report to the judge room by 7:30 AM.
- In order to get to the small gym, you have to drive to the back of the school and park in the spaces near the pool.
- You can also park in the main parking lot, but then you would need to walk to the back in order to get to the gym.
- All teams must have a chaperone present at the tournament at all times. Check-in will be in Norse Hall (Room 104A).
- Any last-minute questions and concerns you have can be emailed to Vidushee Mishra (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Registration should be used for payment and check-in only.
- There is a 5 team cap in varsity and 4 team cap in novice for each school. Additional teams will be taken off of the waitlist if space permits.
- We plan to offer 5 preliminary rounds for both Novice and Varsity divisions.
- Novice is defined as a student’s first year of competition, or not advancing to an elimination round in your first two years of competition, regardless of the debate format.
- All students that don’t fit this definition should be placed in Varsity.
- The forfeit time for each round will be two minutes after prep ends to minimize delays.
- We will break brackets based on school affiliation.
- The tournament reserves the right to adapt the amount or structure of elimination rounds if required by tournament logistics. Currently, we plan to have a semifinals and finals round in the Open division after five prelim rounds.
- We will be allowing hybrid and independent teams to compete at this tournament.
- All competitors must be registered by: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM
- Judges are due by: Friday, January 24, 2020 at 11:59 PM
- Online drops and name changes until: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM
- Nuisance fees apply after: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM
Note that after Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM, judge burdens and entry fees will still apply for dropped entries.
- The entry fees for a novice debate team will be $40.
- The entry fees for an open debate team will be $50.
- The registration fee for each school will be $15.
- Fees for any teams dropped after Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM will be $40 per team.
- Please make checks payable to "IHS Debate Club" and have the name of your school written in the memo line!
- Make sure that the checks are written out and given during tournament registration.
- We will accept personal and school checks, but cash WILL NOT be accepted.
- If the check is not received by the end of the registration time, all of your entries may be dropped at the tournament's discretion.
Use the following to assist in determining the registration amount due.
((number of open teams)*$50) + ((number of novice teams)*$40) + $15 = ________
- Judging obligations will be one judge for every two debate teams.
- Official names for all judges should be entered by Friday, January 24, 2020 at 11:59 PM.
- Fees for uncovered debate rounds, judges no-showing, etc: $50/team/round. We would much prefer you provide judges than money to cover judging fees.
- All judges from a school are obligated one round past where their last team drops unless they are released by Tabroom.
- We will be using online ballots, so all judges MUST have a Tabroom account.
- All judge fines must be paid before the start of elimination rounds or competitors will be disqualified.
- All judges who are 18+ are accepted. High school debaters will be accepted as novice judges.
- Judge training will be offered at the beginning of the tournament.
- Printed materials, laptops, phones, and the internet are all allowed in prep. While the internet is expected to be provided, the tournament has no obligation for providing internet. If there are technical difficulties that prevent the internet from being provided, the tournament will continue.
- Debaters may not use any handwritten notes written before the 20 minutes of prep. Any violators will forfeit the round.
- There is no team prep or coach prep allowed.
- Speech times will follow the NPDL 7-8-8-8-4-5 format.
- No new arguments are allowed in the LOR or PMR (Rebuttal speeches). Stop time for Points of Order.
- Forfeit time is 2 minutes after prep time ends.
- You MUST be in your room a maximum of 22 minutes from the topic announcement, or you will be forfeited from that round.
February 1st, 2020
7:30-8:00 School Registration + Fees
8:00 Judges Training
8:30 AM: Round 1 Topic Announce
10:00 AM: Round 2 Topic Announce
11:30 AM: Round 3 Topic Announce
1:00 PM: Lunch
2:00 PM: Round 4 Topic Announce
3:30 PM: Round 5 Topic Announce
5:15 PM: Awards (Small Gym)
5:45 PM: Semifinals (Open)
7:15 PM: Finals (Open)