ParliPF Invitational Party
2019 — San Jose, CA/US
Tournament Helpline (text-only): 408-585-9492
ParliPF Invitational Party
December 8th, 2019
Hosted at Evergreen Valley High
3300 Quimby Road, San Jose, CA, 95148
The Evergreen Valley Speech and Debate Team wholeheartedly welcomes you to the ParliPF Invitational Party! We’re incredibly excited to host this tournament and strive to create an amazing tournament experience for all events and skill levels.
- Our campus map can be found here.
Judge Room: Library
Tabroom: C112 (room connected to the library)
Competitors' Lounge and Parli prep: Cougar Hall
- ALL debaters should be in Cougar Hall by 7:30 AM. ALL judges and coaches should also report to the judge room by 7:30 AM.
- We plan to offer 5 preliminary rounds and breaks to at least semifinals.
- The tie-breaker for elimination rounds will be opponent seed. We will break brackets based on school affiliation.
- Each round will be followed by an oral RFD and disclosure of the winner, in order to provide the most educational value possible.
- While casual attire is encouraged for competitors, formal attire is also welcome!
- The tournament reserves the right to adapt the amount or structure of elimination rounds if required by tournament logistics.
- The tournament has collapsed the open and junior varsity divisions.
- The Topic Committee for Parliamentary Debate is comprised of James Gooler-Rogers, Virginia Kerr, Anirudh Mani, Ben Shahar, and Sophie Stankus.
- The Equity Officer for the tournament is Sierra Maciorowski.
7:00 AM - 7:30 AM: Check-In
7:30 AM - 7:45 AM: Public Forum Judge Training
8:00 AM: Parli Round 1 Topic Announce
PF Round 1 Begins
9:50 AM: Parli Round 2 Topic Announce
PF Round 2 Begins
11:35 PM: Parli Round 3 Topic Announce
PF Round 3 Begins
12:30 PM: Lunch
1:30 PM: PF Round 4 Begins
2:00 PM: Parli Round 4 Topic Announce
3:30 PM: Parli Round 5 Topic Announce
PF Round 5 Begins
5:00 PM: Parli Quarterfinals
6:30 PM: Parli Semifinals
8:00 PM: Parli Finals
Open Parli/PF Entry Fee: $70
Nuisance Fee: $20
All teams must have a chaperone present at the tournament at all times. Check-in will be in C112 (next to the library). Any last-minute questions and concerns you have can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration should be used for payment and check-in only.
All payments will be through check. Personal check will be accepted, cash will not. Please make your checks out to IPACE-EVSD and write your school name in the memo.
There is a 4 team cap for each school. Additional teams will be taken off of the waitlist if space permits.
- Each school must provide 1 judge for every 2 entries or less.
- Schools will be fined $100 for each round that a judge fails to show up.
- All judge fines must be paid before the start of elimination rounds or competitors will be disqualified.
- All judges are obligated one round past where their last team drops.
- We will be using online ballots, so all judges MUST have a tabroom account.
- All Parli judges must submit a paradigm by the judging deadline.
An Open Parliamentary Debate judge must be a high school graduate or equivalent, and currently a coach, former open debater, and/or college debater. They may have experience outside of parliamentary debate, but experience judging this event is recommended.
Open Public Forum
All judges who are 18+ are accepted. Judge training will be offered at the beginning of the tournament.
Any questions about judge requirements can be directed to email@example.com.
- Printed materials, laptops, phones, and the internet are all allowed in prep.
- Debaters may not use any handwritten notes written before the 20 minutes of prep. Any violators will forfeit the round.
- There is no team prep or coach prep allowed.
- Speech times will follow the NPDL 7-8-8-8-4-5 format. No protected time or grace periods.
- No new arguments are allowed in the LOR or PMR (Rebuttal speeches). Stop time for Points of Order.
- Forfeit time is 5 minutes after prep ends. You MUST be in your room a maximum of 25 minutes from the topic announcement.
Public Forum Debate
- We will be using the December topic.
- All technological devices are permitted in round.
- Internet is allowed to check evidence, but for nothing else. Any violations will result in a forfeit in the round.
- We will be using the updated timings of 4-4-3-4-4-3-3-3-3-2-2. (We will have 3 minutes of total prep and 3-minute summaries).
- Show up to your rooms on time, failure to arrive within 5 minutes of the round's start time will result in a forfeit.