DSU Dakota Invitational Oral Interpretation Tournament
2019 — Madison, SD/US
Dakota State University invites you to participate in the Dakota Invitational–Karl E. Mundt Oral Interpretation Tournament on Saturday, October 26, 2019, at DSU in Madison.
- Grand Finals: After three preliminary rounds, we will break the top group (goal of 6) to a final round. We will award 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-place trophies in all seven events and crystals to all Grand Finalists not receiving individual trophies.
- Honor Finals: In events with sufficient entry numbers, we will break the next group (goal of 6) to an Honor Finals. Crystals will be awarded to the top entrant in the Honor Final for each event and medals to all other Honor Finalists.
- Sweepstakes: We will award sweepstakes trophies to the top three Class AA, A, and B schools.
Dakota Invitational Schedule
7:30-8:15 Registration (Trojan Center)
8:15-8:30 General Meeting (Trojan Center)
8:45 Round I
9:55 Round II
11:05 Round III
1:30 Grand and Honor Finals
3:00 or ASAP Awards
· Tournament Schedule: Please be present and registered before 8:15 a.m. All judges are expected to be available through the finals.
Entry: We will be using Tabroom for tournament registration. To register, please visit: http://dakotainvite.tabroom.com
No student may compete in more than two events.
Hired judges will be available for $70 each.
Entry Fees: $6 per entry in Humor, Drama, Poetry, Oratory, and Storytelling; $12 per Duet entry; $12 per Readers Theater.
Entry Deadline: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2019 6:00 p.m. Central Time.
Drops and other changes may be made after the entry deadline on the website or by contacting the tournament director. (e-mail: email@example.com; cell: 605-480-0894). Drops made after 6:00 p.m. CDT Wednesday will not lower fees or judging obligations.
Entry Limits: You may enter any number of entrants in any event, but the maximum number of entries per school is 25. (The tournament may waive that restriction, depending on total entries and availability of rooms and judges.) No student may compete in more than two events.
Make checks payable to:
DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY – DAKOTA INVITATIONAL
If mailing entries fees, please mail to:
DSU College of Arts and Sciences, Attn: Susan Langner – Beadle Hall 114
820 N. Washington Ave, Madison, SD, 57042
Judging: Schools must also provide one judge for every five entries or fraction thereof. A limited number of hired judges are available for $70 each. You can avoid paying that fee to the tournament by finding judges to cover all of your entries. Qualifications for judging are simple:
- a willingness to listen to students,
- an ability to recognize good clear public speaking, and
- a desire to write comments that will encourage students to improve their speaking and performance skills.
Previous experience with oral interp is desirable but not required of judges. So coaches, if you can judge, please do! If you can find colleagues or parents who would like to hear some speeches and judge (and help you chaperone during the day), bring them to judge! They'll enjoy the experience, and they'll save you contest fees.
Campus Map: For a campus map visit and direction, visit DSU’s webpage: http://dsu.edu/about-dsu/maps-and-directions
Food Service: The tournament will provide breakfast to all coaches, competitors, and judges during registration (so come early!). To keep the schedule tight, we urge all teams to buy lunch at the Trojan Center.
A Note from DSU Dining Services: DSU does not permit outside vendors to deliver food to campus events. In other words, if you want Pizza Hut, you have to go to Pizza Hut and eat there.
We look forward to seeing you all at Dakota State University on October 26th for an exciting tournament!
Cell Phone: 605-480-0894