2018 — San Diego, California, CA/US
2018 Aztec Invitational Speech and Debate Tournament
You can find the official invitation here: https://psfa.sdsu.edu/about_us/news/2018-aztec-invitational-speech-and-debate-tournament
Dear Friends and Community Members,
It is with great pleasure that San Diego State University, the SDSU School of Communication, and Palomar College invite you to the 2018 Aztec/Mills Invitational.
We have worked very hard to ensure optimal schedules to accommodate teams traveling from Palomar to SDSU. The Mills portion of the tournament will take place on Friday at Palomar College and the Aztec Invitational will happen over the course of Saturday and Sunday on the SDSU campus.
Our hope is that this format advances your students towards their local and national-circuit goals over the span of one weekend. We have also altered our schedule of offered events in order to keep costs down, decrease the strain on judges, and maintain our ability to offer our standard of student wellness with providing snacks, meals, and awards.
This year the tournaments feature:
- 2 IE Tournaments (Fri and Sat)
- 6 prelim rounds of NPDA debate (Sat-Sun, breaking to doubles if warranted).
- 6 prelim rounds of WUDC “Worlds” debate (Sat and Sun)
- 5 prelim rounds for CEDA/NDT debate (Sat and Sun)
Open and Novice divisions will be offered in all respective events, where warranted.
Registration on Friday will take place in H-212 at 9am.
Saturday and Sunday registration will from 7am-9am in front of the Little Theatre near the grassy plaza.
Tournament Rules – AFA, NFA, WUDC, CEDA/NDT, and NPDA regulations will govern their respective divisions, unless specified elsewhere in this invitation. In NPDA debate and WUDC, hybrid teams and three-person teams may compete.
PLEASE NOTE: In NPDA, no person who has competed for ten (10) or more semesters or has competed at NPDA or NPTE in four (4) different years may compete.
In IEs, no person who has competed for eight (8) or more semesters or has competed at a collegiate national tournament in four (4) different years may compete.
The SDSU Aztec/Mills Invitational will offer novice and open divisions of all reasonably populated IEs and debate events (see policy BELOW on collapsing divisions with less than 6 competitors).
Students are considered to be novices in individual events when:
- They are in their first year (defined as first two semesters of collegiate or high school individual event competition), and
- They have not placed third or higher in a similar event (Public Address, Interpretation or Limited Preparation) two or more times in any division including high school. For example, a student may be novice in interpretation, but be open in public address events.
- “Open” will be reserved for competitors of any year or level (assuming THEY ARE still eligible by national standards), and does not require unique qualification.
- Entries for WUDC, IE’s, and NPDA will be accepted electronically at http://www.forensicstournament.net.
- Registration must be completed by 11:00 pm on Tuesday October 2, 2018. Entries for NDT/CEDA will be accepted on tabroom.com by the same date and time.
- Any changes to be made after the deadline should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday October 3, 2018, by 11:59pm.
- Students and judges who are participating in NPDA debate must complete, and provide documentation of, Title IX training before the beginning of the first round of competition. Training can be completed through the affiliated school’s institutional training or through the free NPDA training which can be found below. Please email a copy of the completion of training to email@example.com with the subject line “Aztec 2018 Title IX Verification”.
- Judge Constraints can be submitted directly to the tournament host or a member of the Tab Staff. Those emails will be provided once those positions have been finalized.
- ADA Accommodations will be made for all competitors in need of them, please make sure to note those requests when registering online AND send a copy of that request to the tournament host.
Saturday, October 6
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM -- Round 1
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM -- Round 2
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM -- Lunch
3:00 PM - 5:30 PM -- Round 3
5:30 PM - 7:30 PM -- Round 4
Sunday, October 7
9:00 - 11:30 AM -- Round 5
Elims to Follow at 12:30 PM or ASAP
Mills: All parking for the Aztec Invitational will take place in Lot 12.
Aztec: All parking for the Aztec Invitational will occur in Parking 12 (formerly PS-4), where no special passes are required, and ticketing will not occur. Please refer to map (embedded in the invite below) for specific location and directions.
NOTE: If you choose to park in a different lot, you must purchase a parking pass or you will be subject to receiving a ticket.
I hope you consider attending the 2018 Aztec Invitational and Mills Invitational taking place on the Palomar College campus on Friday and the SDSU campus on Saturday and Sunday. These tournaments are sure to provide an incredible early-season competitive experience and points opportunities to schools that choose to attend.
We look forward to seeing you and your squad in San Diego in October!