Asheville High Cougar Classic
2022 — Asheville, NC/US
1. Topics: Topics will include proverbs, abstract words, events, quotations, and famous people.
2. Drawing: A judge in each section/room shall be provided an envelope containing a uniform set of topics, with a different subject area used for each round. Once the first speaker is called, the other speakers shall leave the room, and wait outside the door. Each speaker will draw three topics, choose one, and return the other two to the envelope.
3. Preparation and Delivery: The speaker has seven minutes in which to prepare a response and present a speech without consultation of prepared notes. Students may consult published books, magazines, newspapers and journals or articles therefrom, provided:
a. They are originals or photocopies of originals.
b. That original article or copy is intact and uncut.
c. There is no written material on original or copy.
d. Topical index without annotation is allowed.
4. No other material shall be allowed in the room other than stated above. Speeches, handbooks, briefs, and outlines shall be barred. Underlining or highlighting in materials will be allowed if done in one color on each article or copy. No electronic retrieval device may be used, but printed materials from online computer services may be used.
5. Recuse: Once a speaker has spoken, they may listen to other speakers in that round.
6. Notes: No notes shall be used during presentation.
7. Time: The maximum time limit is 7 minutes with a 30-second “grace period,” which includes both preparation and speaking. If there are multiple judges in the round, all must agree that the student has gone beyond the grace period. Should a student go beyond the grace period, the student may not be ranked 1st. There is no other prescribed penalty for going over the grace period. The ranking is up to each individual judge’s discretion. Judges who choose to time are to use accurate (stopwatch function) timing devices. No minimum time is mandated.