Victoria East TFA
2022 — Victoria, TX/US
Congress Paradigm ListAll Paradigms: Show Hide
Debate: I am good with speed on reading evidence & delivering arguments. I am familiar with all types of arguments: T, DA, CP, K, Value/Criterion, Theory. It is important to me all arguments I flowed, have a rebuttal from opposing team.
Speech (Exempt): I expect at minimum one source sited for each main component of your speech.
Hello there!!! My name is Jackie Zapata, and I competed for six years at Tuloso-Midway, with my main events being Congress, DX, FX, Oratory, and CX. I also dabbled here and there in LD, Impromptu, and WSD. I have competed on the local, state, UIL, and national circuit, qualifying to the national tournament each year of high school.
As always, if you have any questions regarding my paradigm or any information that I might have left out, PLEASE do not be afraid to ask before the round starts. I was in your shoes once... I understand how it is!
Regardless of whatever event I'm judging you for, these are the main qualities I value.
- I have always been a firm believer that, if you are not having fun doing what you love, you're not doing it right. With that being said, passion is super incredibly important on my end. I'm not going to be the first nor last person to be the one to say that speech and debate is such a powerful and rewarding activity, and it is because of this that it is so important to truly care about what you're talking about while also enjoying yourself in the process. <3
- Discrimination in any form will NOT be tolerated!! I do not care if you are clearly winning a round, I will immediately drop you if you are racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, or display any form of hostility towards someone's identity.
- Please be kind! It seems like such an obvious thing to say, but you would be surprised. Treat others the way you want to be treated. That's how this activity should be. :)
- Good AGD's are important to me! This is how you are able to separate yourself from other speakers while being able to display your own sense of humor and personality.
- For me, it's super helpful when extempers provide solid background information on the topic itself. This way, I am able to efficiently follow with the rest of the speech.
- Statements of significance are a MUST!! I as a judge am listening to five-six other extempers give speeches on other topics for seven-ish minutes. Tell me why I should value YOUR speech and YOUR topic above everyone else to give you that distinction.
- Analysis of the topic is the most important part!! Don't expect the sources to tell me the whole story. Give me the significance behind the sources you chose. Why is it important to the topic as a whole? What is the impact?
- Speaking of sources, those are also really cool! I would prefer you use some topic specific sources instead of the same old CNN or NBC News, but that's just my preference.
- In terms of speaking style, please speak loudly and clearly. Make sure you are confident in what you are saying and speak with passion!! Also, enjoy yourself!! It sounds really unnecessary to put in an extemp paradigm but have fun with this event. It will reflect in your speech!!
- Organization is SUPER important! Make sure I am able to understand where you're going with your speech and make it simple to follow.
- Make your topic something that is able to connect with me as a judge as well as the rest of the audience. It is so important for the topic that you choose to resonate with everyone. This is the kind of event where I want to leave learning something new.
- Make sure to incorporate some of your own personality in your speeches. Effective personal stories in OO's and INFO's have always stood out to me because it shows me that you have a deep connection to your topic.
- Speak clearly and efficiently, use pauses when necessary, and once again, be passionate about what you're talking about. It really makes a difference.
*Will do other events at a later time*