CCSD Tournament Desert Pines HS
2020 — Las Vegas, NV/US
CCSD COUNTY TOURNAMENT
1. Congress legislation will be posted on tabroom as well as CCSD google group. County/CCSD will identify 3 pieces of legislation for Super. The Super Congress will have 3 pieces of legislation and each chamber will set the order.
2. Entry Deadline, through Tabroom is Tuesday, February 25th, by 5:00PM.
3. Drops will be accepted through Wednesday, February 26th at 3:00PM. Changes must be done through Tabroom. No adds will be accepted after the Tuesday cut off. I suggest you check your Tabroom registration to be sure you have not made a mistake. We really will NOT make any adds at the tournament even if you left off your president! It is up to you to check your entries.
4. This tournament is run according to the rules of the Golden Desert Speech & Debate Association. Any school attending not familiar with these rules and regulations will receive a copy upon request. Your entry is your acceptance of these rules. Please review the district ethics document with your students.
5. Individual events of Foreign Extemp, Domestic Extemp, Oratory, Informative, Humorous Interp, Dramatic Interp, Duo (counts as one entry), and POI will be offered.
6. All individual events are open. Each student may enter two (2) I.E. events excluding a competitor who enters extemp. Extemp competitors may only enter 2 events one of which is extemp. A student may not enter in both DX & FX events. Each school may enter up to four competitors in ALL events.
7. Competitors may only enter one extemp event. HOWEVER, it is the responsibility of each competitor to get to rounds on time. No adjustments will be made because a competitor missed a round unless it is a tabroom error.
8. Extemp topics will be posted on tabroom and questions will come from the last 3 months of national news & headlines.
9. Debate events of policy, LD, Public Forum Debate, and Congress will be offered. Students may enter one debate format only. Debate will be Varsity and JV only. JV and Varsity POLICY debate will NOT be collapsed but a round robin can run in place of prelims rounds. Congress will be JV House and Varsity Senate. (For clarification consider Senate Varsity and the House to be JV).
10. Debate entries will be limited to 4 teams in the varsity division, 4 in the JV division. Congress entries will be limited to 4 entries in both divisions. Debate topics:
a. Policy Debate – 2019-2020 Topic
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce Direct Commercial Sales and/or Foreign Military Sales of arms from the United States.
b.Lincoln-Douglas Debate – 2020 January/February Topic:
Resolved: States ought to eliminate their nuclear arsenals.
c. Public Forum Debate – 2020 February Topic Area: Economy
11. Check in time for all debaters and congress participants will be 3:00 to 4:00 on Friday. If your team is not checked in by 4:00 or your team received a Coaches' verification they will receive a loss for the first round. An unverified No Show for round 1 will be removed from debate schematic. Congress participants will lose 2 priority cards. They may check in and continue in the tournament, but the loss will stand for the first round and eliminate them from breaking.
12. Congress will be held co-currently with debate. The Orders of the Day will not be amended or suspended.
13. The TAB room is limited to coaches during the tournament and the JUDGES room to coaches & judges
14. PLEASE NOTE: No food or drink will be allowed outside of the student activity area with the exception of bottled water. Please keep the Student Activity Center cleaned up and remove all belongings from classrooms when leaving.
15. VAPING or Smoking are NOT allowed on campus.
16.While the number of entries will be limited compared to prior tournaments, it is imperative that each school provide judges so that the tournament can be run on time. This will give our competitors the best environment possible to perform. Also, on Tabroom please be aware that the judge count needed is PER ROUND.
IEs: 1 judge for each 6 entries (not students ) or part of .....Example – 7 entries requires 2 judges
CX Debate: 1 judge for every 3 teams or part of /
LD and PF: 1 judge for every 4 teams or part of Example – 5 teams requires 2 judges
17. IT IS MANDATORY THAT SCHOOLS MEET THEIR JUDGING REQUIREMENTS. A $200 JUDGES BOND MAY BE REQUIRED BY EACH SCHOOL TO INSURE THEY PROVIDE JUDGES. PLEASE MAKE THIS A SEPARATE CHECK TO BE RETURNED AT THE END OF THE TOURNAMENT AND SHOULD BE MADE OUT TO THE PUBLIC EDUCATION FOUNDATION/ GOLDEN DESERT SPEECH AND DEBATE ASSOCIATION AND GIVEN TO ROBIN or MARY.
18. There is a mandatory hospitality fee for this tournament. See the HS Coaches S & D group for an invoice. Please send this to Desert Pines HS by Feb 8th 2020. There is an invoice posted on the CCSD google groups/HS Speech & Debate Coaches. There are no other fees for this tournament except the judges' bond.
19. No missed rounds due to student error will be rerun.