Reagan Great Communicator Online Qualifier
2018 — Online, US
Rules & Eligibility
Entry Fee: $10/student
Judge obligation: One judge per two debaters. Judges must stay one round past the elimination of their debater.
School cap: Schools may register up to 8 students
1. Any student, in grades 9-12, during the 2017-2018 school year, who is a U.S. citizen, lives within the United States and is enrolled in an accredited U.S. high school, home school, or home study program is eligible to compete in the Ronald Reagan Great Communicator Debate Series.
2. Competitors are allowed to compete in one in-person regional competition as well as the online competition.
3. Each student must be under the immediate supervision of an adult who may be his/her coach, parent, or other adult approved by the high school administration.
4. A contestant who does not appear at the scheduled time to speak shall forfeit. The chief judge may waive this penalty for a valid and compelling reason.
5. Preliminary debates shall be judged by at least one judge; elimination rounds by three judges; and finals by 3-5 judges, at the discretion of the regional host. The highest and lowest judges’ scores for each contestant in the final rounds will be eliminated before tabulating results. Any judge with a conflict of interest must declare this conflict prior to commencement of the competition, and a replacement judge should be assigned.
6. Judges must be over the age of 18 and must be out of high school for at least two years in order to be eligible to judge.
National Championship Eligibility
1) After competing in all rounds including the entirety of the final round of debate at the regional level, the top two winners of each regional competition will be qualified to attend the National Championship. Each winner will receive a flight and hotel room for themselves and one chaperone each. Further details to be given to the winners after each Qualifying Competition.
2) U.S. citizens who are located in other regions of the world are welcome to compete, but the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute is only able to cover transportation expenses for National Qualifiers for travel originating within the 50 states.
3) If a contestant is unable to participate in the final round of debate at the regional level, it will be up to the discretion of the regional partner and the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute to determine whether or not the participant will be allowed to participate in the National Championship.
4) Each student at the National Championship must be under the immediate supervision of an adult who may be his/her coach, parent, or other adult approved by the high school administration.