Northern Lights District Tournament
2023 — MN/US
Northern Lights District Qualifier
for the 2024 National Tournament
2023 Northern Lights NSDA Debate Qualifier
December 8-9, 2023 - ONLINE
Greetings Debate Coaches,
On behalf of the Northern Lights District Committee, it is my pleasure to invite you and your team to the 2023 NSDA District Qualifier in Debate, held ONLINE via Google Meets on Friday, December 8 and Saturday, December 9. Please use the ‘register’ tab at http://northernlights.tabroom.com to complete your registration.
Important tournament information is listed below. Please let me know if you have any questions.
1. Registration: We are using Tabroom.com as our online host for the NL District Tournament Series. Registration is now open at http://northernlights.tabroom.com. Remember that all entries must be submitted no later than December 1 at 8pm.
2. Chapter Dues/Membership Requirements: You will not be able to register on Tabroom.com unless your school has paid its annual chapter dues to the NSDA. Please take care of this promptly so that you have no difficulties in entering. In addition, all students must be on record as members of the NSDA seven days prior to the tournament. These two items are non-negotiable as they are dictated by the national office. Please let me know ASAP if you need help with this.
3. Judges: We ask that all teams please submit their entries as soon as possible so we can best plan for hired judges and space. Remember that all schools are required to furnish TWO judges for the duration of the tournament. We also strongly encourage schools to enter their Head Coach as a judge whenever possible in an effort to provide students the most experienced and highest quality judge pool possible.
Also, please include any notes about your judges when registering them (i.e. "only PF" or "can judge both PF and LD" or if there are any school conflicts other than your team). You can update this information by clicking on the "Judges" tab on your main account screen. Select the judge you want to edit, then scroll down to the "notes" box.
5. Tournament Format: PF and LD will run four guaranteed preliminary rounds followed by a single-elimination bracket featuring entries with winning records. In LD elimination rounds, a coin flip is used to determine sides unless the pairing has previously met. PF always flips for slides/position. Elimination round brackets will not be reseeded to avoid pairing entries from the same school.
Updated ONLINE schedule:
Friday, Dec. 8:
Round 1 - 4 pm
Round 2 - 5 pm
Round 3 - 6:45 pm
Round 4 - 8 pm
Saturday, Dec. 9 (if necessary):
Elim 1 - 9 am
Awards - 10:30 am or ASAP
*If Elims are not necessary, we will hold awards Friday night.
6. Fees: In addition to paying your NSDA annual membership fee, please mail a check made to Northern Lights to cover your entry fees. Each student is $12.00 ($24 per PF team). There is also a $100 school fee. Fees are frozen on Dec. 1 at 8pm. Please address letters to me:
Moorhead High School
Attn. Andrew Tichy
2300 4th Ave. S.
Moorhead, MN 56560
7. Qualifiers: Because we are a Level 3 District, we will qualify three PF teams and three LD entries to Nationals, as long as there are at least 10 entries per event.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions. See you in December!
Northern Lights District Chair