South Oregon District Tournament CANCELLED
South Oregon District Qualifier
for the 2020 National Tournament
Location: North Valley High School, Grants Pass
Date: Saturday, February 29, 2020
Register by: Friday, February 21, 2020 at 5 pm
Qualifiers: Top 2 in the Senate and top 2 in each house (6 if we have 59 or more entered).
Temporary Chairs: Please email me requests by the date of registration, February 21.
We will not use pilot rules for Congress this year.
Each school should upload up to 2 pieces of legislation by Noon on February 12. That legislation will be posted on this website, and then placed on the docket in each chamber (I'll have copies available for everyone competing). Any speaker from your school may present the authorship speech in the chamber. One of those bills will be selected to represent South Oregon at the National Tournament. Any legislation I receive after February 12th at Noon will not be considered a school bill and will not be posted, though individual speakers may submit legislation from the floor (it will be eligible for debate after the school bills). Please carefully write and format school bills (templates available at https://www.speechanddebate.org/legislation-templates/). Bills should be the original work of the school. The committee reserves the right to reject improper legislation.
1. Congress: We will need a total of 3 people to judge in each chamber (9 total). If you have no speaker in a chamber, you may be asked to be a scorer or parliamentarian. If you think you can bring a scorer or parliamentarian, please notify Kayla Crook. Judges are paid per session. As per the NSDA, we must use unaffiliated judges in each chamber.
2. General Notes:
1. Students will qualify in Congress based on Judge Ranking.
2. As we are finishing this tournament before Speech and Debate qualifiers, please note that speakers who have already qualified in Congress will be allowed to compete, and perhaps even qualify, in the Speech and Debate qualifiers.
3. I will set the chambers Friday night before Congress. Please let me know if you need to change your entries by 5 p.m.
4. If you have students who choose to compete in the Congress and a speech or debate event, you need to have a completed Single Entry Letter of Intent for each (yes, even if they have no real chance of going).
5. During the congress, we will have coaches create our World School qualifier rankings.
6. We will not have concessions at the Congress. Lunch will be provided for judges.