Woods Cross Select Ugly Christmas Sweater Tournament
2018 — Woods Cross, UT/US
Welcome to WX Select Ugly Christ Pageant and Debate Tournament
The Seventh Annual
Ugly Christmas Sweater Pageant*
*and debate tournament
Woods Cross Debate would like to invite to you to attend our tournament on December 7, 2018.
DATE/PLACE: December 7, 2018. Woods Cross HS, 600 West 2200 South, Woods Cross, UT. Take the Woods Cross exit (2600 S) from I-15 and head east. It’s the high school you can see just east of the freeway.
UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER PAGEANT RULES:
- Students may compete in their sweaters as part of their debate attire. They should still strive to have a professional appearance. Sweaters are not mandatory.
- Each school will pick ONE contestant for the Ugly Christmas Sweater Pageant that will start as students finish round 3 and tabbing of awards is concluding.
- Students are to go to the auditorium (or commons) as they complete round 3 and sit with their team. Students should stay in their seats, follow the one clap rule, and display good sportsmanship, etc. An award for the school which has the best-behaved audience during the sweater judging and the debate awards will be made.
- Sweater judging will start about 8:30-8:45 PM when each school’s contestant will be called to the stage.
- First Round: Contestants will get a runway walk, and then the top 5 will be selected.
- Second Round: The top 5 will each answer a holiday-themed impromptu question with 30 seconds to prepare and 1 minute to speak.
- Winner will be determined by the MC, his helpers, and the audience applause-o-meter, and will be based on a combination of the sweater ugliness, the answer to the question, and the audience appeal.
- One deserving winner will be named the Wearer of the “Ugliest Christmas Sweater” and will receive an award.
2:30 - 3:15 PM Registration in Woods Cross Media Center
3:30 - 5:15 PM Round 1 Congress Session 1 3:30 - 5:30 PM
5:15 - 6:45 PM Round 2 Break 5:30 - 6:00 PM
6:45 - 8:15 PM Round 3 Congress Session 2 6:00 - 8:00 PM
8:30-ish Students start heading to Auditorium
8:45-ish Sweater judging
9:15 PM Awards
$4.00 per individual student entered, (a team entry would be $8.00) and a $15.00 school fee. Make checks payable to Woods Cross High School Debate.
All events will be open level competition. International extemp, national extemp, impromptu, oratory, student congress, HI, DI, POI, and duo interpretations, Informative, and policy debate, Lincoln-Douglas debate, and public forum debate will be offered. Interps, and extemps may be combined based on numbers entered. Informative will be dropped if there are not enough entries.
Students in international extemp, national extemp, impromptu, interps, or oratory may double enter within those events at their own risk. No triple-entering. No provisions for scheduling will be made. No double entering if entered in CX, public forum, Lincoln-Douglas, or student congress.
Public forum will the debate the November-December topic: Resolved: The United States federal government should impose price controls on the pharmaceutical industry. Lincoln-Douglas will debate the November-December topic: Resolved: In a democracy, the public’s right to know ought to be valued above the right to privacy of candidates for public office. CX topic is Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce its restrictions on legal immigration to the United States.
There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards in each event. Finalist certificates will be made in events with more than 25 competitors. In congress, the top three in each house will receive awards, as well as the best chair.
One judge is required for every 5 entries or portion thereof, in individual events and congress. One judge is required for every 3 teams or portion thereof in Public Forum and Lincoln-Douglas. One judge is needed for every 2 teams or portion thereof in CX. If you bring CX teams, bring people who can judge it. You will designate your CX judges at registration. Those judges will be assigned ballots by name, and must pick up their ballots each round. If you don’t bring judges or your policy judges don’t pick up their ballots, I will drop your teams. Really.
Entries will be limited to 4 in each event. Extra entries may be approved depending on space. Please enter early, as I may have to close registration when I am full. Enter on . No changes after Dec. 6th at 3:00 PM.
Concessions will be available for students. Vending machines for snacks and drinks will be available. Fast food is nearby if you drive, but not within walking distance. Dinner will be provided for judges and coaches.
Please avoid drops and late entries. Please have required judges. Late drops and no shows will be subject to UHSAA sanctioned fines. Entries uncovered by judges will be dropped. NO FOOD OR DRINK IN ANY OF THE ROOMS.