KC Novice Invitational
2020 — NSDA Campus, US
Current Event Speaking Rules
Pick one question for Prelims and one for Elims. Submit a Google Drive folder link with both videos labeled appropriately. Prep for 30 minutes. Please prep responsibly. A student may pick any two questions from the below lists.
International Extemporaneous Speaking
1. What has caused a new wave of conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia?
2. How likely is Alexander Lukashenko to step down in Belarus?
3. What are the best approaches to containing COVID-19 based on our global experience?
4. Why are UK-EU trade negotiations so difficult to conclude?
5. Will the war between Yemen’s government and Houthi rebels end in 2020?
6. Has Prime Minister Imran Khan been a good leader for Pakistan?
7. What should the UN do about China’s treatment of Muslims?
8. Have international efforts to undermine Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro failed?
9. What is the importance of Israel's peace deals with the UAE and Bahrain?
10. Is Mali’s political situation stabilizing after last month’s coup?
United States Extemporaneous Speaking
1. What should the Trump campaign prioritize in the final weeks before the election?
2. What should the Biden campaign prioritize in the final weeks before the election?
3. Is President Trump right to seek to shut down TikTok in the United States?
4. Will the US face a COVID surge this fall and winter?
5. What steps should leaders of both parties take to ensure the legitimacy of the 2020 elections?
6. Should no-knock warrants be banned?
7. What would the confirmation of Amy Coney Barrett mean for the Supreme Court?
8. Will the latest round of wildfires result in US action on climate change?
9. Is America headed for a contested election?
10. Should the US be opening its schools more quickly?