Harvard Westlake Debates
The Harvard-Westlake Debates will take place from January 16-20, 2020 on the Upper School Campus of Harvard-Westlake School.
The Upper School address is: 3700 Coldwater Canyon Ave, Studio City, CA, 91604.
- Choose the “HW Guest” network
- Open a web browser. It should take you to a login page.
- Enter username: email@example.com
- Enter password: Jc6vt (this is case sensitive!)
- Click “Accept” to accept the Acceptable Use policy. Done.
Over the course of these 4 days, we will be running a number of events.
debateLA Challenge*: Thursday Jan 16 - Friday Jan 17
Varsity LD: Saturday Jan 18 - Monday Jan 20
Novice LD: Saturday Jan 18 - Sunday Jan 19
World Schools: Saturday Jan 18 - Sunday Jan 19
Middle School Public Debate: Monday Jan 20
World Schools Debates
Round 1 (I): 9:00am / 10:00am
Round 2 (P): 1:00pm
Round 3 (P): 4:00pm
Round 4 (I): 9:00am / 10:00am
Round 5 (P): 12:30pm
Semis (I): 2:30pm / 3:30pm
Finals (P): 5:30pm
Round 1: 8:00am
Round 2: 10:45am
Round 3: 1:45pm
Round 4: 4:45pm
Round 5: 8:00am
Round 6: 11:00am
*At this point novice will go to semifinals and finals.
Varsity will run a double-octafinal and an octafinal. Quarterfinals will start at 9:00am on Monday morning. We'll push through as quickly as we can. Last year finals started at 12:45pm.
dEBATE LA CHALLENGE:
*This year for the debateLA Challenge, schools will be allowed two entries. This is different from previous years in that we are not sending out an exclusive list for invites. All schools are allowed to enter up to two teams in the challenge. The more, the merrier!
Tournament hotel information is coming shortly.
(note: MSPDP schools should follow normal registration procedures like we do at all tournaments. You can bring a check or cash the day of the tournament.)
We do not allow debaters to compete independently from their school. Debaters must represent their school. Further instructions below.
1. Register teams on Tabroom.com - all teams will be placed on a waiting list until we receive payment.
2. Send payment.
3. Debaters attending the tournament without a school employee must have a principal copy/paste the following language into a email sent from a school email address to Mike Bietz at firstname.lastname@example.org. We must receive this email by December 20, 2019 at 5:00pm.
Our school is the degree granting institution for every student attending the 2020 Harvard-Westlake Debates. Each student represents the school. Our school is responsible for every student, coach, and judge attending the 2019 Harvard-Westlake Debates under our school’s name and gives the students permission to compete and the judges permission to judge. Whenever a student is on campus, there will be at least one school-approved chaperone at the Upper School Campus of Harvard-Westlake School located at 3700 Coldwater Canyon Ave, Studio City CA 91604.
We agree that if at any time the tournament discovers a student or school does not meet the aforementioned criteria, the student(s) and/or school will be immediately disqualified from the tournament and forfeit any fees given to the tournament and to pay any incurred at the tournament.
4. Know deadlines. We will freeze fees on December 20, 2019 at 5:00pm. This is also the deadline to hire judges. Anyone who has entries, but are short on judges will be assumed to be hiring judge(s) to cover uncovered debaters. Hiring requests that happen after December 20, 2019 at 5:00pm will be accepted on a rolling-basis depending on availability.
Payments should be made to Harvard-Westlake School.
Please send to:
c/o Mike Bietz - Debate
700 N Faring Road
Los Angeles, CA 90077
The debateLA Challenge (RR): $155.00
(judge requirement is 1 judge per entry. Hired judging is available for $400.00 to cover 2 days of judging)
Varsity LD: $125
(judge requirement is 3 rounds per entry. Hired judging is available for $100 per missing round)
Novice LD: $80
(judge requirement is 3 rounds per entry. Hired judging is available for $50 per missing round)
World Schools: $95
(judge requirement is 1 judge per 2 entries. Hired judging is available for $200 per uncovered entry)
(judge requirement is 1 judge per 2 entries. Hired judging is available for $150 per uncovered entry)