Washburn Rural Forensics Tournament
2019 — Topeka/Washburn Rural HS,, KS/US
Text of message
This email is being ONLY being sent to schools that are entered in Student Congress this Friday.
PLEASE LOOK AT THIS INFORMATION CLOSELY, PLEASE!
VERY IMPORTANT: If you are entered in Student Congress, PLEASE, PLEASE be at Washburn Rural by 3:30 pm. We have allowed 15 minutes to get chambers set up, and want to begin debate at 3:45 PM.
Session 1: 3:45 - 5:15 pm
Session 2: 5:30 - 7:00 pm
STANDING ORDER: The Chamber may NOT move to have a "break" during the time set aside for debate.
IF YOU HAVE TO DROP SOMEONE IN CONGRESS, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET US KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THERE SHOULD BE NO REASON WHY YOU WOULD ARRIVE AT WARU AND ONLY THEN NOTIFY US OF A CONGRESS DROP.
1. Because of size, we will have 2 chambers: Varsity and Novice. Each will be about 20 members in size.
2. Presiding Officers: If you wish to self-nominate a Congress Person for PO, please send that information to me as soon as possible, but by NOON, Thursday (that's tomorrow).
A. How the PO is selected will be determined given the number of self-nominations received.
B. 2 self-nominations: each will serve for approximately 1/2 of session 1, and the chamber will voted at the end of the session. Selected PO will serve during Session 2.
C. 3 self-nominations: time divided among the 3 self-nominations, and the chamber will voted at the end of the session. Selected PO will serve during Session 2.
3. We will continue with the modified/revised approach to Student Congress initiated at Shawnee Heights.
A. Students do NOT vote at the end of the day.
B. There will be 2 scorers in each chamber, each session. At the end of their sessions, they will EACH nominate the Top 8 Congress Persons.
C. There will be a Parliamentarian in each chamber. Hannah Johnson and Cathy Rankin have graciously agreed to assist. They will submit a complete ranking of the chamber at the conclusion of the session.
They have also agreed to experiment with a -- for lack of another label -- "Parliamentarian's Blog". This will be shared with all schools participating at the end of the day.
D. Final Rankings will be based on the following: 5 ranks received (total) + tie to be broken by the Parli ranking + points awarded for speeches and Presiding Officer. FYI the Presiding Officer is eligible to be placed in the final rankings.
4. A limited number of copies of the Flint Hills legislation packet will be available. The docket will be distributed upon your arrival.
5. Placards will be placed in each chamber in accordance with the seating chart.
Additional questions, please contact us ASAP! Thanks!
for Tim Ellis, Director of Forenscis-----------------------------
Schools registered for Washburn Rural Forensics Tournament with entries in: Nov Student Cong 1 (Fri) Var Student Cong 1 (Fri)