Jacqueline Wei ParadigmLast changed 7/25 11:10A CST
I competed in PF and Extemp for Plano West and graduated in 2019.
If you don’t paraphrase and read all cut cards in case, tell me and I will give both speakers +1 speaks. Paraphrasing in rebuttal is fine (unless you misconstrue the evidence!)
With regards to the new 3 minute summary: Please still collapse--use that minute for in-depth argumentation and weighing instead of going for everything on the flow.
- Speaking fast is fine, full on double breath spreading is a no
- Defense from 1st rebuttal sticks in 1st summary unless 2nd rebuttal has responded to it.
- No independent unrelated contentions in rebuttal--DAs that are related to your opponent's contentions are fine.
- I prefer all weighing to be set up in summary at the latest (there's 3 minutes now, use the extra minute for weighing). If you'd like to set up weighing before that, go for it. I will not evaluate new weighing in final focus unless it is the only way to resolve the round.
- I do not strictly require 2nd rebuttal to respond to offense or defense from 1st rebuttal; however, I think it is extremely strategic to respond to at least offense from 1st rebuttal in most, if not all, cases.
- carded warrant > uncarded warrant > carded unwarranted empirics. “This is unwarranted” is an acceptable response. Don’t card dump.
- I am unwilling to evaluate new arguments in 2nd final focus. If your delink suddenly becomes a turn, or your impact suddenly becomes a million times bigger, or your link suddenly has a new "nuance" in 2nd final focus, I will drop the entire argument, so you might as well just keep the original argument.
- I do not think frontlines are sufficient to serve as case extensions. You should extend not only your entire link chain + impact but also the warrants as to why your links/impacts are true.
- If you don't weigh, I will intervene with a common-sense weighing mechanism (probability or magnitude). I will not presume neg unless there is zero offense in the round.
- I won't vote for disclosure theory.
Speaks: 27 - 30 unless you are rude, condescending, racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.
Ev: I will call for ev if it’s important in the round AND either 1) anyone tells me to call for it or 2) I think it might be misconstrued based on previous knowledge. I know that as the round progresses sometimes cards get power tagged accidentally, and that’s fine, but if you straight up clip your cards or misconstrue them heavily I’ll dock your speaks and also possibly drop you.
Theory: Don’t really know the tech side of theory and also really REALLY hate the trend of some teams running theory to confuse opponents instead of actually checking back abuse. If you want to check back abuse just explain the abuse and why I should drop the arg/debater intuitively.
If you have any questions, ask before round.