Nelson Okunlola ParadigmLast changed 11/22 7:19P CDT
*Glenbrooks Update - I’ll probably be flowing on paper - do with this what you wish*
I still know nothing about the topic.
Earl Warren '17
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org [Add me to the chain]
I did LD and Policy in high school and was a 2N at Northwestern
I haven't read the topic lit. Don't assume I know the acronyms or that I know what's "common sense" in the literature
I generally evaluate LD and Policy the same, correcting for obvious activity discrepancies. If something is specific to one event, ill label it as such.
Do what YOU want and do it well. If something isn't clear here, contact me or ask before the round
- Tech > Truth
- Add me to the chain. Prep time ends when the doc has been saved and is ready to be sent. If you "cease prep" and aren't ready to give your speech within 30 seconds, I'm starting the time again. Get better at compiling docs.
- Ill vote on pretty much anything that's warranted and impacted both generally and to my ballot. I don't give credence to one lit base over another. Reading something just because you think i'd like it is probably not the way to go but do you I guess.
- Debate can be whatever you want it to be, whether that's a game, a liberation strategy, or an activity you do just cause.
- Decision Calculus = "who's winning framing" "who's winning offense under that framing". I’ll evaluate “layers” and all that jazz but thats work you have to do. If your strategy requires a different evaluative mechanism just make that clear
- Absent framing I'll presume util=trutil
- Don't assume I've read your lit
- I'll call for evidence judiciously
- Don't do it, if you do its an L0
- If you make a false accusation, its an L0
- I think brackets are only germane for questionable language, given that the word or phrase you change is not omitted from the text.
- Speed is chill but keep in mind I've never been the best at flowing
- Do not start at full speed, 8/10 times I'll miss the first 3 words
- ******Slow down considerably on tags/texts/analytics. You can speed through anything else
- Some speeds are just incomprehensible for me to flow so I will yell slow and/or clear. I won't dock speaks if you're too fast for me because that's not your fault, but if you are unclear it is my jurisdiction to dock speaks.
- The longer you take to adapt the angrier I get and that affects speaks
[LD] Pref shortcuts
- Tell me how to evaluate the round. Absent framing, I'll assume util is true and adjudicate accordingly. You don't want me to do that.
- I'm not an analytic/dense phil guy. If this is what you do thats fine just please don't assume I've read your lit.
- CP theory is fair game
- Competition should be clear
- Impact framing and weighing is important and the lack thereof make these debates hard to evaluate
- I need to know what your alt and my ballot means/does
- Don't assume I've read your lit
- Make framing arguments, I don't like intervening
- Go all out, but warrant your arguments/practices
Kritikal Affs/Performance/Micropolitical/T - Resolution
- Warrant and defend your practice/speech act/performance
- Been on both sides of this debate, enjoy both sides of this debate. I'm just as willing to vote on T as I am to vote aff in these debates
- The negative could usually benefit from saying something about the case proper in these debates
- Do it well
- I need to hear your interpretation
- Slow down on the standard/impact names (Limits, Ground etc)
- Ngl I enjoy a good topicality debate
[LD] this isn't policy and there are no stock issues. T is probably not an intrinsic affirmative burden. You probably need a voter.
- I would much rather evaluate substance but theory is fair game. However, just like every other argument, the more bullshit it is, the lower my threshold for responses are but at the same time I won't make those responses for you
- Slow down on the interpretation and the standard/impact names (Predictability, Time Skew etc)
- Reasonability is very underutilized and can be compelling but deploy it effectively
[LD] If theory is your pre-meditated A strat, don't pref me. No one likes frivolous theory, it will make me sad and you'll be sad when you see your speaks
[LD] I shouldn't have to default on any theory paradigms, it's your job to have that debate but without contestation, I'll default competing interpretations and no RVI's. All this means is that if these aren't contested in the round, that's how i'm evaluating theory.
[LD] Theory does not have to be in "shell" format
- It's an argument. It can be worthwhile if read well, therefore if you plan on reading this do it well and defend your practice.
- 1 off skep probably won't get you too far but I'll evaluate it I guess
- If your A-strat are tricks then I'm not the judge for you. I honestly don't really know how most of the shits function so you probably dont want me judging you anyways
- Ill still evaluate it, just err on the side of explanation of the utility of your argument.
- This changes depending on the caliber of the tournament
- I see speaks as a tiebreaker for seeding and I evaluate it accordingly
- General criteria: should you clear? strategy, in round persona, "are you good or bad at debate"
- Speech impediments won't factor into my evaluation of speaks
- I'll reward innovation by giving more speaks to debaters that teach me something new
- 29.6-30: You can win this tournament or be in late elims
- 29-29.5: Better than the majority of the pool
- 28-29: You'll probably clear
- 27-28: You'll probably not clear
- 26-27: Lots of room for improvement
- < 26: .........
- Content warnings are valuable
- Lay debate is chill, but I prefer faster debates over slower ones.
PF Paradigms Update 3/27 for TOC
- Everything in the Policy/LD section generally apply, I suggest reading that especially the TLDR/General section
- I prefer faster debates over slower ones
- The only hard and fast/objective rules that constrain me are those of the tournaments/whatever rule guidelines said the tournament is following. Everything else is up for debate (i.e theoretical arguments)
- I don't care what you read/how you read it (see note above)
- Don't assume I've read the topic lit
- I'm fine with "progressive" style arguments but if your opponents ask for clarification you better do some explaining.