Lillian DiStefano ParadigmLast changed 2/16 6:38P EDT
My judging paradigm for Lincoln Douglas (LD) Debate is a clash of values. The value represents a means to an idealistic, just world. The criterion is the standard by which to measure the opposing values and to ultimately define the value that should be upheld. The contentions are used to uphold the value.
Value, criterion and contentions must be clearly stated by both sides.
Therefore, the debater that upholds their value and criteria with the strongest contentions will receive the higher points, thus (generally) the win.
Points that I look for:
· Slow down on the Tags!
· Must be clear with your value and criteria
· Contention and it's value MUST BE crystal clear
· I do not allow flex time
· Speak at a reasonable pace
· Time yourself-I will also keep time
· Argue on logic not emotions
· Quotations have no meanings without explanations
· Make logical and sensible arguments AND explain your arguments.
· There’s a difference between a passionate and an abrasive or condescending debater
· Stay organized
· Be respectful to your opponent
· Construct a well impacted argument/s
· The debater that most clearly present a logical argument AND effectively refute the opponent will be the victor
· MOST OF ALL, ENJOY YOURSELVES WHILE PERFECTING YOUR CRAFT