Hi I'm Emma! I competed for Lindale High School Fall 2016-Spring 2020 with almost all interp and speaking events. I currently attend The University of North Texas. Here is a list of some things that strike my fancy(in no particular order) in interp events:
1) POLISHED! It's easy to tell how much work someone has put into their program. I want to see the effort and love you have given into your piece.
2) PASSION! When I was in high school, interp was a way that I could express my passions in an artistic way. When I can hear, see, feel your passion, I will inherently connect more with your piece.
3) CHARACTERIZATION! If your piece has more than one character, I want to be able easily tell the difference. Whether that is a physical change, vocal change, or both, make sure that your audience knows who, what, why, etc. While it is not a necessity, bold and unique characters are also something I look for.
And a list of the things I look for in speaking events:
1) Again, POLISHED! In prepared speaking events especially, a polished speaking style can easily be something that sets you apart from other competitors. A few stumbles here and there are no biggie, but your overall presentation should be well-prepared.
2) UNIQUENESS! There are definitely trends that exist in all s&d events, so it's refreshing to listen to a speech about something other than those trendy topics.
3) RESEARCH! It's a given that all speaking events require some magnitude of research, but credible, calculated, and interesting research will give you a leg up.
My biggest thing is respect for your competitors. This activity should be for lifting each other up, giving humans cool opportunities, and getting totally educated!
Questions, concerns, and comments: