Brett Rydalch ParadigmLast changed 4/28 9:59A MDT
“This forum, like all public forums, is a waste of time”
- Ron Swanson (JK, I just love Ron.)
- Read good evidence and make sure I can understand the card citation. Its not real if I can't hear where its from.
- Defense is overvalued
- Weighing, indights and offense are undervalued
Things I enjoy seeing in round:
- Turns > Link debates
- Empirics and quantifiable impacts.
- Lots of evidence
- Risky/Off-the-wall arguments… as long as they still make sense.
- Well-weighed arguments extended through the Final Focus, even if that means you’re kicking out of others. Write my ballot for me. Some of the best teams I’ve seen lose and/or drop every argument but one, and still win the round.
- Use Cross well. Make it constructive. Being funny and/or sassy never hurts, either.
- Flashing evidence or being able to hand over evidence speedily.
- Give me clear voters. Tell me why I should vote for you in your Summary/FF.
Things I DO NOT like:
- Improperly citing evidence.
- People that lie in the 2nd FF
- Off-time roadmaps. The only time to give one is if I need a new piece of flow-paper because you’re going off-case, or if you’re doing something otherwise out of the ordinary.
- Miscutting/manipulating evidence
- When you say an author and I can't understand. Don't be like..."Blah, 17 says..."
- Using rhetoric claims about discrimination and abuse or anything. Be careful about making blatant statements about these topics that could across as offensive.
- I pretty much hate framework. Most PF teams provide a framework and then really don't work within it or it becomes a framework debate. I DO NOT, REALLY DON'T, LIKE SERIOUSLY HATE a 45 min debate on framework and the case does not adhere to the framework you present. Yes...you all run C/B Analysis for 99% of everything and most of you don't understand anything about economics or actually present a valid C/B Analysis then just don't waste our time. Let's just agree that the flow is king and you need to prove stuff. Lets just agree there is one framework..Impact Calc...I will weigh who has the better impacts. Enough said.
Don’t do these things in front of me.
Speed: I like speed up to like 325 wpm. If you go really really slowly I might get bored and start drawing pictures of butterflies and flowers on my flow, so speed is prob in your best interest. Slow down on tags and authors if you’re really fast.
Other technical things:
- I’ll only evaluate things that are in both Summary and FF.
- I don’t flow crossex, but you should refer to things that happened in cross in your next speech. I don't care how you do it or even if you do it. Please don't try to be sneaky and assume you can stare at me during cross and think you can get another speech in. Naw, I'm good and don't care what you have to say. I will probably be on my phone, computer or watching Netflix or something.
I coach PF.
I life PF.
I work with NSDA in PF.
PF is good.