Dean Doneen ParadigmLast changed 11/9 9:42A CDT
Add me to the email chain: firstname.lastname@example.org
I coach LD Debate at Roseville Area High School in MN
Speed is fine under most circumstances, probably not great to plow through Deleuze at top speed though. I'll say clear/slow 3 times max.
Please debate the resolution
27.5 is average speaks
I will not vote for a prioris (this doesn't include thought out deductive argument like an amoral state NC)
If you have a dog, please include a picture at the bottom of your speech doc
- Advocacy needs to be clear. This doesn't necessarily mean a plan text.
- I won't weigh for you
- I don't like Bostrom
- I'm familiar many authors on this subject, but don't assume that. If you don't explain an author correctly or make some mistake I won't do the work for you to get it back correctly. If you catch your opponent doing this and point out some contradiction, however, this will be very persuasive and you'll get speaker points for it.
- You should have a ROB
- Jean Baudrillard ruined my life, and for that I am forever grateful
- I'm very uncomfortable judging debate rounds centered around identity politics
- Just because an activity produces meaning (a sign) does not mean it is harmful or "co-opts" something. Signs are an important part of communication, if not the entirety of it.
- I default to reasonability, no RVIs, drop the argument, and it is getting harder every day to convince me otherwise.
- Sometimes I just won't vote for your shell if I think it's dumb.
- I don't believe that Theory is not a strategy. If abuse is real, go right ahead.
- If you consider yourself a theory/tricks debater, I am not the judge for you
- I will not vote for disclosure theory in LD. However, disclosing is probably a good thing to do.
- I will not vote on potential abuse.
Lay Debate (MN Circuit)
- This is absolutely fine. In fact it often seems silly to me to get so technical about this activity.
- I don't really care much about the value debate. You could literally just say your value is "good" and I'd buy it
- The standard/criterion debate DOES matter, very much so.
- Being easy to weigh isn't a real reason why your philosophy is true