Aimun Khan ParadigmLast changed 1/12 8:13A CST
Yes I want to be on the email chain: firstname.lastname@example.org
I graduated in 2016, debated in Texas and on the national circuit, and qualled to TOC my senior year. Outside of opinions on particular arguments, my views are pretty consistent with Alan's. I'm a lot more familiar with different types of common args than I was as a debater, and I don't really care what you read as long as you read it well.
Things that get you good speaks (and make it more likely that I make the decision you want me to):
- The more i'm left to resolve on my own, the lower your speaks will be. If I'm left to resolve two arguments, I will look for the path of least intervention.
- Making yourself easy to flow. Popping tags, signposting and numbering things make it more likely for me to get down all of the args you want me to. Slow down on important things that you want to emphasize. Tell me where and how to flow things. It's really hard to get warrants down in blipstorms.
- Good collapsing, crystallizing, and writing my ballot for me in your last speech. Implicit clash is inevitable to an extent, but directly explaining how I should resolve areas of clash will likely make you like my decision. Please don't just expect me to know that arg A answers arg B, do it for me.
- Line-by-lining the 1AC/1NC. I miss the days when people would go card-by-card and directly respond to warrants in the aff. Good warrant-to-warrant comparison is great.
- Making strategic decisions.
- Explaining complex theories in a way that is understandable to a non-debater or someone with no background in the literature base you're reading will get you high speaks.
- Good overviews that make it clear in what order I should look at issues.
In short, the easier you make it to evaluate the round the better your speaks will be.
Other things that affect your speaks:
- If you're debating a novice and you knowingly spread them out of the round, the highest your speaks will be is a 28.5.
- If you're debating a novice and you slow down and explain things simply to them, your speaks will be high.
- If the ballot story is super clear and you sit down early I will boost your speaks.