Dakota Lions Speech
2018 — ND/US
Dakota NFL Lions Speech Tournament – FRIDAY, March 16, 2018
You and your students are cordially invited to the 6th annual Lions Speech Tournament to be held at Central Cass High School to support forensic students the state of North Dakota. The tournament will managed by Dakota NFL Lions Club Members with Lion Gayle Hyde and Lion Sue Anderson serving as managers. Lion Maggie Zentner will be our tournament host. All donated used eye glasses will be cleaned, sorted, and recycled in developing countries through the efforts of Lions Clubs International; and all canned goods will be donated to the Food Pantry.
The atmosphere at this tournament may be different from other tournaments. By donating a pair of used eyeglasses or canned goods, or donating $1, students, coaches, and judges may wear jeans at the competition. The money donated and food will be donated to a local food pantry. Despite the casual atmosphere of the tournament, it will adhere strictly to the rules established by the North Dakota High School Activities Association.
The speech tournament will be flighted and will host all 14 events plus POI. Star novice entries (7-8th graders and 1st year 9th graders) on your registration as top novice awards will be given.
Registration will be from 8:15-9:00 a.m.
· Students can sign up for multiple events. If they enter more than 2 events, prep time may be limited. Two prep events may limit prep time to 1/2 an hour or less. If students enter more than 2 events, there is no guarantee that they will be able to do all the events they are registered in. Rounds will not be held for multiple entered students. We will do our best to help with this, but there are no guarantees.
· If two events are in the same flight and one is a prep time event, prep time might be limited.
· Registration fees are $5.00 per individual entry/$10 per duo. Checks should be made to the Lions Club Speech Tournament Fund.
· If participants, coaches, and judges would like to wear jeans for competition, they are asked to donate a pair of used eye glasses or readers, a can of food, and/or $1.
· Please furnish one judge for every 8 entries. Hired judges are $65.00.
· Indicate any 7th, 8th, or new 9th grade competitors on your registration with an asterisk. Recognition will be given for students who are new to speech.
AND, LAST BUT NOT LEAST, send your entries to festival competition manager, Lion Gayle Hyde by e-mail or register at http://dakotanfllions.tabroom.com/ no later than Sunday at 5 PM March 11th. Drops will be taken until the time the tournament begins, but we would like a heads-up as soon as you know about them. AFTER Monday, March 12th at 5 PM, YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO PAY FOR ANY CHANGES YOU MAKE INCLUDING JUDGES YOU REQUESTED THE TOURNAMENT SUPPLY EVEN IF YOUR NUMBERS NO LONGER WARRANT. Adds will be taken as long as there is room in the category as sectioned. Substitutions are accepted. Please call or text us with any changes ASAP through registration on tournament day at Gayle’s cell phone number 701-866-148.
Don’t forget to include the NAME, E-MAIL ADDRESS or text number FOR THE COACH OR WHOEVER WE NEED TO CONTACT.
Please send your registration to Gayle Hyde at:
Thanks so much for considering attending our Mandan/ Dakota Lions High Speech Tournament.
TENTATIVE TIME SCHEDULE – Subject to change
8:15-9:00 -REGISTRATION – Please call changes before this time if you have any on the morning of the tournament.
8:30 Draw events
9:00 - Round I A events
9:15 – Draw events (XS and EPR draw for round I)
10:15 – Round I B events
10:50 – Draw A Events
11:20 – Round II A events
11:30 – Draw B Events
12:30 – Round II B events
Draw will begin as soon as possible – Continuous finals as long as we have the judging capacity
1:45 – Finals begin