South Oregon District Tournament
2018 — US
South Oregon District Qualifier
for the 2018 National Tournament
February 13, 2018
It’s time for use to get together once again and determine our qualifiers for the National Tournament in Ft. Lauderdale. As always, I would encourage you to fill your slots. This not only helps us qualify others, but also gives younger competitors a glimpse into the qualification process at a time when they are not under the same pressure to perform as they might be in subsequent years. With addition of events (notably Big Question and World Schools), more kids are going to Nationals than ever before. This is not only exciting, but it also makes it a little easier for some of our second tier competitors to move up into vacated slots.
Main Event Qualifier Requirements: We are a Level 2 district again this year, thanks to all your active participation. We meet the Level 2 standard through the number of Charter schools, improvement in Members and Degrees, as well as improvement in the number of Entries at the District Tournament. Well done all!! This means we will have will have 2 qualifiers in all events which have at least 4 entries. Remember only NSDA members can compete. They must be members 7 days before the competition.
Student of the Year: Each school attending the NSDA tournaments may nominate one senior for the honor. Please complete the form available on the NSDA website and bring it with you. All submissions are due at registration.
World Debate: This year, we are hoping to again field two teams for the World Schools Debate tournament held at NSDA Nationals in June. Our initial team member discussions will be at our Big Questions and Congress Qualifier on March 3rd at North Valley High School. Anyone who competes at one of the qualifiers and does not qualify is eligible to be selected. We will select our representatives during Congress on Saturday, similar to the process we've used in years past. To submit nominations, please fill out this form: WSD Nomination. Only nominated students will be considered. No nominations will be allowed after March 3. On the website is also a document formalizing our selection process and member expectations.
Please have your registration completed by 5 pm on Monday, February 26 for Congress or Monday, March 12 for Speech and Debate. Bring all necessary forms to Congress/BQ on March 3 (if you are attending) and to Friday, March 16 if you are only attending the speech and debate tournament at the U of O. The only forms you need to bring to the tournaments this year are Single Entry Letters of Intent and School Consent forms, both printable from Tabroom.
Rob’s Contact Information:
North Valley High School
6741 Monument Drive
Grants Pass, OR
Rob Moeny, North Valley High School, Chair
Tori Marshall, Grants Pass High School,
Kayla Crook, Marshfield High School
Matt Marr, Ashland High School
Tom Lininger, South Eugene High School
Congress and Big Question Debate
Location: North Valley High School
Date: March 3, 2018
Register by: February 26
Limits: NSDA limits for congress, unlimited for Big Question (but see judging note below)
We need at least 8 schools to seat a senate, and at least 30 speakers to seat 2 houses.
Qualifiers: Top 2 in the Senate, Top 1 in each House, Top 1 in Big Question
Each school should e-mail me up to 2 pieces of legislation by February 21. That legislation will be posted on this website and then placed on the docket in each chamber (I'll have copies available for everyone competing). Any speaker from your school may present the authorship speech in the chamber. One of those bills will be selected to represent South Oregon at the National Tournament. Any legislation I receive after February 23 will not be considered a school bill and will not be posted, though individual speakers may submit legislation from the floor (it will be eligible for debate after the school bills). Please carefully write and format school bills (templates available at congressionaldebate.org). The committee reserves the right to reject improper legislation.
Temporary Chairs: Please email me requests by the date of registration, February 26, 2018.
1. Congress: We will need a total of 3 people to judge in each chamber (9 total). If you have no speaker in a chamber, you may be asked to be a scorer or parliamentarian. If you think you can bring a scorer or parliamentarian, please notify Rob Moeny. Judges are paid per session. As per the NSDA, we must use unaffiliated judges in each chamber.
2. Big Question: Please bring 1 judge for every 2 entries. We will not allow uncovered entries.
1. Please email me a list of congress competitors sorted into houses (assume both 2 and 3).
2. Students will qualify in Congress based on Judge Ranking.
3. As we are finishing this tournament before Speech and Debate qualifiers, please note that speakers who have already qualified in Congress or BQ will be allowed to compete, and perhaps even qualify, in the Speech and Debate qualifiers on March 16-17.
4. I will set the chambers Friday night before Congress. Please let me know if you need to change your entries by 5 p.m.
5. If you have students who choose to compete in the congress and a speech or debate event, you need to have a completed Single Entry Letter of Intent for each.
6. During the congress, we will have coaches create our World School qualifier rankings.
7. We will not have a concessions at the congress.
8. Big Questions does not count toward your overall total number of entries (school or individual) at any of the National Qualifier series.
Speech and Debate
Location: University of Oregon
Date: March 16-17, 2018
Register by: Monday, March 12 at 5:00 pm
Limits: 4 per event up to your NSDA limits based on Chapter Strength
Qualifiers: Top 2 in all events, Top 3 if we meet 30 entries in team events or 38 in solo events
1. Solo or Partnered events each count as 1 entry.
2. Team limits are based on your Chapter Strength. Log in to your account on speechanddebate.org, then check District Info under your school name on the left.
3. No competitor may enter more than 2 speech/debate events plus congress (3 total).
4. Double Entry Policy: NSDA does not allow double entry at the national tournament, but does allow each district to set its own rules regarding double entry. This is ours:
A. A competitor may enter only 1 team event, and if he or she qualifies in that event, the student must attend Nationals in that event unless the competitor enters a duo and a debate with the same partner. Both partners must list their events in the same order on their Single Entry Letter of Intent. (At press time, that was not yet working in Tabroom)
B. We will follow the NSDA policy regarding competitors who both qualify in an individual and a team event.
C. A competitor may enter any combination of two different events except: U.S. Extemp and Foreign Extemp; two types of debate.
D. All students are allowed to enter Student Congress, regardless of participation in this tournament (potentially giving them a "third" event).
Oratory and Informative Entries: Please bring a signed copy of the script with any quoted words highlighted.
Proof of Publication: All interpretation material must be published according to the rules found in the Competition Events Guide. BE SURE YOU HAVE RECORDED YOUR PUBLICATION INFO IN TABROOM.
Saturday, March 3, 2018, North Valley High School
9:00 Congress registration and distribution of bills
9:30 – 12:30 Congress Session 1
9:30 – 10:30 Big Question Round 1
10:30 – 11:30 Big Question Round 2
11:30 –12:30 Big Question Round 3
12:30 – 1:30 Lunch
1:30 – 4:30 Congress Session 2
1:30 – 3:00 Big Question Round 4
3:00 – 4:00 Big Question Quarter-finals
4:00 – 5:00 Big Question Semi-finals
5:00 – 6:00 Big Question Finals
5:00 – ? Congress Tab
Congress and Big Question winners will be announced, however awards will be given at the end of the Speech and Debate Tournament, as there are often changes if competitors qualify in another event.
Friday, March 16th, University of Oregon,PLC 180 main location
11:00-11:45 Registration in PLC 180
12:00-1:30 Round 1: Debate
2:00 Extemp Draw
2:00–3:30 Round 1: All Individual Events
4:00–5:30 Round 2: Debate
5:15 Extemp Draw
5:30–7:00 Round 2: All Individual events
7:00–8:30 Round 3: Debate
6:00 – 7:30 Round 3: Selected Speech Events (largest entered until we run out of judges)
7:30 – 9:00 Round 4: Debate
Saturday, March 17th, University of Oregon, McKenzie Hall main location
8:30 – 10:00 Round 4: Debate
10:00 Extemp Draw
10:00 – 11:30 Round 3: All Individual Events (or largest entered depending on judges)
11:30 – 1:00 Round 5: Debate
1:00 – 2:30 Round 4: All Individual Events
2:30 – 4:00 Round 6: Debate, possible I.E. rounds
4:00 – 5:30 Round 7: Debate and any I.E. Rounds as needed
6:00 and on…. Rounds until we finish, awards after
$40 school fee
$15.00 per speech or debate event
$10.00 per congress entry
Free entries for big question debate
Judging fees: $15 per uncovered speech or debate entry
Please make checks payable to:
South Oregon NSDA
c/o North Valley High School
6741 Monument Drive
Grants Pass, OR 97526
If you owe fees to NSDA National, please be sure you bring a separate check or proof of payment to the meet.
Please bring qualified judges with you, as we would like to finish on time. This can only be done with a large pool willing to judge all events.
- Expectations: 1-6 entries: 1 judge, 7-12 entries: 2 judges, 13+ entries: 3 judges
- Coaches are expected to judge. Please make yourself available for all rounds your students advance to, plus 1 round after. For both judging and official reasons, please check with the tournament director if you need to leave for any reason.
If you bring judges beyond your obligation, they can be paid on a per round basis.