UMW Debate Tournament
2017 — Fredericksburg, VA/US
Will be in Combs 025
[Note – This is different for those of you who have attended UMW tournaments forever].
Adrienne Brovero, Judd Kimball, assisted by Tom O’Gorman, Danielle O’Gorman, Mariah Young, David Cram-Helwich.
YOU NEED TO KNOW
· Please do not plan on arriving on campus prior to 3 pm on Friday. Classes are still in session until 4 pm. From 3-3:45 pm, participants should plan on gathering in Combs 139 and/or Combs 237. Please do not congregate in the Combs or Trinkle hallways because that will be disruptive to the 3 pm classes.
· Do not use rooms that are not on the pairing. If it is not on the pairing, we likely don't have access to it, or there is a class scheduled to use it. Please check with Adrienne before using a room not on the pairing. This also includes departmental office lobby areas (the ones are the ends of each floor in Combs).
· Room 139 is an open common room.
· Please dispose of all food trash in the large trash cans in the hallways, not in the rooms or restrooms.
Do not use/touch any technology in rooms, or remove furniture or items from rooms. Please do not place drinks or food on the technology consoles in any room.
Please do not play audio/music in public spaces. When in rooms, volume needs to be kept *very* low, as there are classes in the building during the weekend, and several adjacent office spaces which have asked us to keep volumes levels down.
· The building is at the corner of William and College Ave, but the entrance is on College – use the door to the *left* of the building's driveway.
· Another entrance without stairs is available on Buckner Street. There is a path to the right of the Economics Department building. If you follow the pathway into the backyard, it will end at the backdoor to 1201 William. You should be able to park on Buckner, which is a side street off College Ave.
· First floor – There are 3 open spaces – the main living room, the kitchen, and the department office manager’s open office space. Please do NOT enter the office manager’s office.
· Third floor – Do not enter.
· Room 10 – Ground level of garage.
· Room 20 – 2nd floor of garage, accessed by internal stairs near door on College Ave.
· Room 28 – 2nd floor seminar room, accessed by stairs that are further inside the first floor – find the photocopier, and the stairs *up* to the room are in the hallway to the left of the photocopier.
· Room B7 – The basement lounge, accessed by stairs *down*that are immediately behind the photocopier.
· Room B4 – In basement, has a sign on the door that says “Media room”
*Change from previous years*
On Saturday morning, UMW is serving as host for the Fredericksburg Walk to End Alzheimer’s. This has a few implications for us:
· Parking may be a little more complicated on Saturday morning. We start before they do, but you should consider parking on the side streets off College if things get crowded.
· Like last year, their event has received permission to use the restrooms in Combs, which created some lines in the lobby last year. There are additional restrooms on the other 3 floors throughout the building if needed.
· We are moving both the tab room and hospitality to the basement. We will update you if we relocate.
Gender Neutral Restrooms
Basement level, near stairs at 001-end of the hallway.
Not in Buildings (This isn’t the 80s)
1. UMW does not allow smoking (including vaping/e-cigarettes) in any building.
Not Near Entrances (This isn’t the 90s)
Do NOT smoke on the porches/entryways of the buildings. Please move away from the entrances.
Don’t Start Fires
Also, please *extinguish* and dispose of cigarettes in one of the available receptacles.
UMW Guest network
Directions & Parking
Address & Parking
· For mapping purposes, the campus address is 1301 College Ave., Fredericksburg, VA 22401
· A campus map is posted on Tabroom (right-hand column). Please review it.
· During the weekend, there is typically ample parking on/around College Avenue, and some parking in the lot in front of Combs. See notes about Combs regarding Saturday parking.
· Open will mostly be in 1201 William (#2) and Combs (#14).
· JV will mostly be in Combs (#14).
· Novice will mostly be in Trinkle (#48).
· Spillover building, if necessary, will be Monroe Hall (#39).
Hospitality and meals will be available in the basement of Combs. Please dispose of all food trash in the large trash cans in the hallways, not in the rooms or restrooms.
· Friday – Box meal dinner & coffee starting toward the end of round 1.
· Saturday – Tournament hotel has complimentary breakfast. Light snacks and coffee available throughout the day, box lunch served starting during round 4.
· Sunday – Tournament hotel has complimentary breakfast. Coffee available through the day, pizza served early afternoon.
Thursday, October 12
5 pm Prefs close, Onsite registration opens. Please hit “onsite confirmation” on Tabroom.
Friday, October 13
2 pm Deadline for onsite registration. Please hit “onsite confirmation” on Tabroom by 2 pm.
Please do not plan on arriving on campus prior to 3 pm on Friday. Classes are still in session until 4 pm. From 3-3:45 pm, participants should plan on gathering in Combs 139 and/or Combs 237. Please do not congregate in the Combs or Trinkle hallways because that will be disruptive to the 3 pm classes.
3 pm Pairings online for rounds 1 & 2.
4 pm Round 1 [6:30 decision time]
Dinner Box meals – pick up in Combs basement.
Tabroom blast will be sent when available.
Please pick up promptly to facilitate timely start of round 2.
7 pm Round 2 [9:30 decision time]
Saturday, October 14
*Reminder: Tournament hotel has complimentary breakfast.*
7 am Pairings online for rounds 3 & 4. Buildings will open at 7 – do not arrive prior to 7 am.
8 am Round 3 [10:30 am decision time]
11 am Round 4 [1:30 pm decision time]
Lunch Box meals – pick up in Combs basement. Tabroom blast will be sent when available.
2 pm Round 5 Pairing
2:30 pm Round 5 [5 pm decision time]
5:15 Round 6 Pairing
5:45 pm Round 6 [8:15 pm decision time]
Elim pairing with rooms will be available as soon as possible.
Sunday, October 15 – All rounds in Combs
*Reminder: Tournament hotel has complimentary breakfast.*
7 am Pairing with panels released. Building will open at 7 – do not arrive prior to 7 am.
7:30 am Deadline for coin flip in flip-for-sides debates as per ADA coin flip rule
8 am First elimination round [10:45 decision time]
11 am Awards
Lunch Pizza – Combs lobby
11:45 am Elimination rounds continue