DMPS MS Forensics Tournament 4 East HS
2017 — IA/US
Welcome to the Tabroom registration for DMPS's fourth middle school tournament hosted at East High School on May 6.
We're offering PF, OO, and Prose/Poetry. There will be three rounds of competition.
We have chosen to focus more on exposure to the activity rather than competition so there are no trophies or "winners."
Parents, teachers, and community members are more than welcome to judge.
If you have inexperienced volunteers please direct them to the NSDA's judging resources which can be found here:
Each team needs to provide at least one judge per four PF entries. So if you're entering one to four PF teams you'll need one adult, if you are entering 5-8 you'll need to have two judges, if you enter 9-12 you'll need three... etc.
For speech you'll need one judge for every 5 entries. So if you have less than 5 entries you don't need to provide a judge in speech, but if you have 5 or more you'll need one for every 5.
Teams who cannot fulfill their judging requirements need to contact Lauren McCool immediately.
EVENTS & RULES
- Original Oratory
- Students deliver a self-written, ten-minute speech on a topic of their choosing. The speech must be memorized.
- Please note: An Oratory is not simply an essay about the topic—it is a well researched and organized presentation with evidence, logic, emotional appeals, and sometimes humor to convey a message. Topics may be of a value orientation and affect people at a personal level, such as avoiding peer pressure, or they can be more of a policy orientation and ask an audience to enact particular policies or solve societal problems.
- Students may choose to perform selections that are prose or poetry or a combination of the two.
- This is a BOOK event. (Meaning you must hold a manuscript -- The student must hold a manuscript and appear to be reading.) Each contestant will present one or more selections on a common theme. Time limit is 6 minutes
- Please note: This is an event that we have customized for our students, so you might find rules in other places that are different. If you have any questions as to what is and isn't allowed as part of this event please do not hesitate to ask!
- Public Forum
- Uses the same times/format as high school.
- Resolved: The United States Federal Government ought to subsidize the production of renewable energy.
This tournament is part of the DMPS Middle School Speech and Debate program. These tournaments are coordinated by Lauren McCool (District Debate Liaison) and Ben Tilus (DMPS Student Activities Specialist). East High School's Debate team is the host of this tournament.
If you have any questions about registration, rules, judging... anything competition related... please contact Lauren McCool at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance for supporting middle school speech and debate!