MSQI Debate Tournament 2
WELCOME to MSQI Debate 2
This tournament is open to schools participating in the Middle School Quality Initiative
Date and Location
MSQI Debate 2 will be held on Saturday, February 29 at Brooklyn Tech High School (29 Fort Greene Place, Brooklyn, NY 11217)
Enter through the entrance on the corner of Dekalb Ave and S. Elliot Place.
Registration closes at 5:30 pm on February 14th.
Coaches will be able to make reasonable changes to registration due to unexpected emergencies until 9:00am on the morning of the tournament. This includes dropping debaters and re-pairing mavericks. You may not add any additional teams after the February 14 deadline.
Check-in will open at 8:00 am on February 29th, the day of the tournament. Check-in will close at 9:00 am. You must check in in person to compete at the tournament.
A Note on Mavericks A school should have no more than one maverick entry per division. If a school has two mavericks in a division, those two students must debate together as a team.
· First year debaters
· Students who are in their first year of debate
· Debaters with 1 – 2 years of experience
· Students who have participated in 3 or more debate tournaments prior to this year or matriculated from Novice Division
· Experienced debaters with 2 -3 years of experience
· Students who have participated in 5 or more tournaments prior to this year or matriculated from Intermediate Division
Bilingual Spanish-English Division
· All levels of experience
· Debates are conducted primarily in Spanish
If students competed in novice division last year, they should matriculate into Intermediate division
The U.S. federal government should legalize recreational marijuana in the United States.
Please provide one judge for every two teams.
MSQI and the NYCUDL will be using the National Speech and Debate Association's updated times for both high school and middle school PF debate this year. Summary speeches and prep time are now three minutes.