Vassar College Invitational
2019 — Poughkeepsie, NY/US
November 3: All results are entered and published. Ballots will be scanned and posted online later this week.
Congratulations to Friends Seminary, taking both the Novice and Varsity championship!
Thanks all for coming. Hope to see you again next year.
November 2: Preliminary results have been posted on tabroom. Teams 3-1 or 4-0 break to elims tomorrow. Start at 9AM.
November 1: Last Minute Information
Please remember that each student needs to bring a filled in and signed waiver form. The form is the last page of the full invitation. This is a Vassar College requirement.
1. Parking is available in the North Lot (see the Vassar College web site for a campus map).
2. We will gather in Rockefeller Hall as in past years. Rockefeller is in the center of the campus, and a bit of a walk from any parking lot.
3. Registration opens at 9AM and General Assembly is at 10AM. Please be sure you arrive in time to be settled before 10AM.
4. We'd like to try and get the judges together a bit before that, at 9:45AM. We'd like to use electronic ballots, so all judges need to have an email-linked tabroom account and a device they can use to receive messages and enter ballots, such as a tablet or laptop. (A phone will work, but it's harder to do everything on a small screen.) We can help you get linked up when you arrive if you've never done this before, and we will have paper ballots as a backup.
5. Debates will be in various buildings on the Vassar Campus, so you will be doing some walking between rounds. Weather is expected to be sunny with a high of 50 degrees. Please dress accordingly and wear sensible shoes. If someone in your group has trouble getting around, please let us know at registration.
6. If you are coming by train we can arrange to pick you up and drop you off at the station, or at your hotel. Please email us today with the time of your arrival and the number in your party, or when and where you need a pickup so we can schedule accordingly.
6. There will be complementary coffee, bagels, etc., available when you arrive on Saturday and Sunday morning. We will have pizza and soft drinks for sale on Saturday, and various snacks available for sale during the day.
If you have any other questions, please email us. We look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow morning.
October 20: The waitlist has been cleared. We still have room for about 20 more teams.
We have been offered a limited number of rooms for the tournament weekend at a reduced rate by:
Hampton Inn and Suites
2361 South Road, Poughkeepsie NY 12601
You can call them directly or book online. The group name is "Vassar Invitational" and the group code is "VCI". The deadline for booking is October 21. We apologize for the short date, but we hope this will help those who will be staying in Poughkeepsie for the weekend.
On behalf of the Vassar Debate Society, we invite you and your team to the third annual Vassar College Invitational Tournament from Saturday, November 2rd, to Sunday, November 3th. The tournament will consist of competition in Varsity and Novice Parliamentary Debate.
You will find a full downloadable invitation with registration and tournament details in the column to your right. There will also be posted shortly a Parli Style Guide and a Parli Judging Guide that briefly describe the debate format and approach to judging we prefer. We generally follow American Parliamentary Debate Association format and guidelines, and you can find a more complete treatment along with educational materials on their web site, http://apda.online/ .
Questions or comments, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Best wishes for the start of the school year. We look forward to seeing many of you in Poughkeepsie this November!
The Vassar Debate Society